Confinement areas for chicks during lockdown/hatching??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fanov8, Sep 12, 2010.

1. fanov8

fanov8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Ok, I've seen several people that have their eggs in cartons. Some in plastic bowls. And some in little cage type things (like hardware cloth walls). If any of you do this which method do you use or have you used? Which has worked best for you? Anything special I need to know? Like with the cartons, aren't you supposed to cut a hole in the bottom or something for air? And the bowls, doesn't the plastic get too hot or cause too much more heat? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm going into lockdown next weekend and want to be prepared before then. Thanks for any input!

ETA: If you have any photos that would be fantastic if you wouldn't mind sharing them!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    You can use pretty much any safe material - just make sure it's easy to clean and is well insulated

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    We used shoe box sized plastic storage bins for our first hatch. It worked well, but once the chicks were out, they were kicking the other eggs around.

This time we are using an egg carton in one of the storage bins. It is working much better. The eggs stay in the carton, but the babies can get out and run around.

Keeping them confined is important for our incubator, because we use a large upright Pepsi cooler as an incubator and hatch on the second shelf. It is like a 3 foot drop to the bottom if they fall out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by