Confinement Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicklette 1, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    i have my little silkie confined since this afternoon as I found she had a small prolapse and she is in a medium plastic kennel. Is it harmful to her to be confined to a small space for any length of time?? I do not have a brooder as such........just some lg plastic containers with hardware cloth tops that I use for new chicks. Please advise about the size and length of confinement so I can make sure she is not being harmed in any way. Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    med size kennel should be fine, but a large plastic tote would probably work too, just give her enough room to be able to stand and turn around in, also to be able to put her food an water in with her, hopefully she'll recover quick and you'll not have to have her in very long.. you can also let her out for short breaks during the day with surpervision so the others won't peck her. were you able to get the prolapse back in? make sure it doesn't dry out.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:As long as she can stand and get to her food/water she should be fine. I have had to cage one of mine for a week because of an injury. He didn't like it and bit me when I let him out but he did recover fully. I probably would have lost him otherwise.

Did you use Preparation H for the prolapse?

4. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thanks so much Miss Lydia.......now I can sleep tonight. She is very small and she can stand, turn and move with no problem. I have had her food and water in with her and some oyster shells. She seems content. I do take her out for a warm water bath on her bottom and then hold her for a while so she doesn't get too bored. It is a very small prolapse and does not protrude all the time. I do think she is trying to push an egg out.

5. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thank you also Brattish Taz

6. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    If you think she's unable to push an egg out, is she egg-bound? You may have to get a little personal with her...

7. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    There was an egg in her crate this morning and her vent is not prolapsed now. It seems she gets the prolapse when she is working on an egg. I have felt an egg in the vent but it was a little way up and she eventually laid it. I am going to observe her for another day and then if the prolapse does not seem to happen until she is ready to lay, then I might put her back in with the others and just keep the prep H handy. She is eating and drinking and seems just fine. Maybe it is a normal thing for her when she is working on an egg but it goes back in after she lays the egg.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    good to hear that the egg is out and she is okay. I think your right about watching her for another day before putting her back out with the rest.. hope this doesn't become something that a constant, but just a one time thing.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by