Confirm my cockerel suspicions whydontcha?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hippie Chicken, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Hippie Chicken

Hippie Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Oakland
    One of my Barred Rocks is starting to look and act suspiciously like a cockerel. He's got a bit of a strut going on already at 2 1/2 weeks and seems to have the coloring of a male BR as compared to his seemingly female counterpart. But what do I know, I'm a chicken newbie! So y'all tell me. Is Cecilia really a Cecil?
    [​IMG]

And while we're at it, how about my RIR Gwen? Will we be changing her name too?
    [​IMG]

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    They both look like roos to me, but I would give it a few more weeks to be sure.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First one is a roo

4. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    My 2 female BR looked nothing like this one at this age. They had (and still have) much more black to them. Would guess Roo on yours.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup.

6. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Both look like roos to me.

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Roo for the first one definitely (head splotch is large and legs are too yellow)...not sure about the second one.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If Gwen turns out to be a cockerel, Gawain would be a good rename--in keeping with the Arthurian theme, lol.

9. Hippie Chicken

Hippie Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Oakland
    Thanks y'all. I had them outside today and their behavior really confirmed my suspicions. Total cock of the walk thing going on with both of them. They're bossy and seem to need to be in charge of everything! That's too bad, because they're half my teensy newbie flock and I can't have roosters in the city. Now the question is, when to give them away and how to replace them. Obviously with at least 4 more chickens right?! And should I get new chicks or look for older ones on Craigslist like I see all the time? Whaddya pros here think?

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Please keep in mind that behavior is not a good basis for sexing chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by