Confirm My Suspicions - We have Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by iluvbubba, Apr 16, 2008.

1. iluvbubba

iluvbubba New Egg

Apr 14, 2008
    We have 5 buff orpington chicks, we got them on 3/18 so I imagine they are 4 weeks old.

From the beginning, I suspected one might be a roo, we called "it" Bossy. It's feathers are darker and shinier, and there is a definite comb and waddles appearing.

The second one I'm wondering about has a comb also, slightly smaller than Bossy's, and the feathers are not as dark or shiny.

These two tend to go at each other more - fighting wise - and in the same way. We can't keep roosters - we're 95% sure they are boys and we'll need to find them a good home.

By the way - our other 3 have small pale combs, so there is noticeable difference in these two - but we just want to be 100% sure before we give them away - so do you all agree on the gender?

Here is Bossy at 4 weeks

Here is the one we suspect is a roo - but aren't 100% sure, also 4 weeks old - first picture is a little blurry.

and "it" is again.

and again:

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At four weeks, those do look like boys!
  3. Mahjongg90

Mahjongg90 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    Western Slope, CO

They look like boys to me:)
  4. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Roosters, I think, too!!
  5. iluvbubba

iluvbubba New Egg

Apr 14, 2008
    Well alrighty - that settles it then.

We've been in rooster denial all this week, so your opinions are greatly appreciated!

These boys will need a good home. We are in Vancouver, WA in case anyone close by is interested.

We won't be selling them, we just need the room so we can get a few more pullets to take their place.
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The 2nd chicken looks like a rooster. The other 3 look like hens
  7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by