Confirm my suspicions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by timandamy, Aug 9, 2010.

1. timandamy

timandamy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    South Carolina
    We ordered a straight run of 25 chicks (plus seven sexed pullets - 3 EE's and 4 Heavy Brown Layers for a friend). We lost two in the first week. We are starting to try to discern who is food and who is friends. So, please confirm my suspicions that the following are roos, also I'm going to list the breed I *think* they are, and if I'm wrong, please let me know that too! My guesses are based purely on combs, and I'm not assuming that if they DON'T have combs yet that they must be pullets, just suspecting these of being roos. They are 5 weeks today.

#1 Barred Rock
    [​IMG]

#2 Speckled Sussex (?)
    [​IMG]

#3 Welsummer (?)
    [​IMG]

#4 White Rock
    [​IMG]

TIA!

2. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    I'm gonna have to agree with you...They all look like roos to me. I'll be interested to see what others say

3. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I think you got 'em right....only one I'm a little iffy on is the Welsummer. Can't tell if those hackles are pointed or not.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    look like roos to me

5. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I agree with the others that you are correct. The Welsumer is tough though. I had one roo that feathered quickly and looked like the other Wellies until his comb and wattles popped out, sort of looked like the one you posted. I had another that feathered much slower than the others, and dark (black) chest feathers came in before or about the same time as his back (his pics are below at about 4 weeks). I would think you'd start seeing some black chest feathers soon if he's roo. Also, the roos took on a brick shape early. The one in the pics I had pegged as a roo from the start. The other one became a roo "all of sudden". Judging by the comb, he be showing those signs shortly IMHO. My wellie hens didn't start to get on their combs for a while yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    they all look like cockerals [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by