Confirm or rebut my amature sexing (multiple breeds)

Vashjir

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
Richfield, MN
All birds are about 4.5-5 weeks old. Any help or comments are welcome! Thanks in advance!

1st up is a blue and gold (I think that's the right name for this color) EE, virtually no comb leads me to believe its a girl. Love her colors!

Next is my other EE. The big pink comb and his protective attitude scream cockerel to me. Hes got a cool mohawk too.

Third up is a black orp, nice fat little bird, small comb and gentle disposition tell me female.

Next is a blue orp (much lighter than the black even though the camera doesn't show). I think this one's a boy since his comb (although floppy) is larger than the black's. This ones feathers haven't come in nearly as fast as the others and he has kind of a ragged 'mangy' look. This feathers also seem larger and curlier than the other chicks.

Next are my 2 buckeyes. The first is a female, and the second looks to be male. The comb on the male is about 2-3x as large as the female's and already has 3 distinct rows.

Last is a wellsummer that I have no idea on gender. The single comb seems a bit big, but I don't have any other wellsummers to compare. His/her tail feathers are also fairly long as you can see in the second pic, but again, I don't know if that's just a characteristic of the breed.

Last edited:
I have to disagree on the Welsummer. That is a pullet. The boys at this age have a very pink comb and it is about 4 or 5 times the size. I thought I pulled a pullet for you! Also, the cockerls have black on their breasts, even at this age, that sets them apart from the girls.

I think you got the others right, but I would like to see a side view of the second Buckeye that you think is a cockerel, one that would include the legs as well. There is something about the way the feathers come in that help me figure out the sex on those.
Does that Blue have any feathers on the legs at all? It almost looks like it might have stubbs, in which case means it is an EE. I can't remember on all the ones you got. However, what you are seeing as frizzled feathers, are actually just the way the feathers are angling coming it, like they are ruffled up a bit, but that will smooth out in a couple of weeks and lay tighter.

So, you have 4 girls there, and you can only keep 3? Hmmm. That will be a tough call on who has to go, all of them will be sweet birds.
I am sure you are spoiling them all equally.
Have fun and keep sharing.

Thank you all, this is why I deferred to those with more experience. Cutting it down to 3 will be a challenge. It may come down to who lays the 1st egg between the wellsummer and the orp. And ya Minnie, they get spoiled pretty bad
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom