Confirm the genders?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tyniskee, Feb 25, 2013.

1. tyniskee

tyniskee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    England
    I have been keeping an eye on these guys all week, they are just over 3 weeks old? Hatched Saturday 2nd (one hatched the day before)

I know there is it seems 2 male out of the four, and one looks as if it is definitely female, but one i really am not 100% sure of, i was wondering if anyone could hazard a guess for me?

They seem to pair up when in their pen, they always follow each other around in pairs. And when the male calls out, only one of the 'females' seems to run to him, the rest do not bother.

I don't really care if it is two males and two females, but for their own sake, i'd prefer only three to be female, or i may have to get rid of one of the males....depending on how they behave as they get older.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :]

The pictures probably could be better but it's not that easy ^

Ignore the nails...haha.

But yeah, one of them seems to have darker markings now from when i looked on Saturday. So i'm pretty sure male. Gah i hope it's no more than two males :/

Male?

[​IMG]

Female?

[​IMG]

Male?

[​IMG]

Female?

[​IMG]

The more i think about it, the more 'male' they ALL look :/

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Your right. Two and two. The female Pharoah colored bird has no red in its breast. Just speckles.

3. tyniskee

tyniskee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    England
    Thank you!
    It made me second guess seeing that the two females and one of the males are the same size, the male that calls is a lot smaller. From what I am aware of the females are usually larger, hence my confusion with one male :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by