Confirmation of 7 month old Silkie Gender

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
I'm hoping for confirmation on the gender of my 7 month old blue Silkie, "Fancy Nancy". I wanted to make sure that I'm not overlooking something in believing she's a pullet. I only have Hatchery stock Silkies for comparison and Fancy Nancy is nothing like my hen or roosters. I've checked her pelvic spacing and it's still pretty small. Within the past few weeks she's become more assertive with other pullets but I feel like that's because her crest is finally getting to the point of staying out of her eyes and doesn't block her vision. She's finally able to see who and what's nearby so she's asserting herself with the younger pullets. Her flockmate is a big NN/Cochin cross pullet and they're inseparable.

I've read that Silkies are sometimes slow to mature, so I'm comfortable with that being the case because Fancy Nancy seems healthy and happy. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

Side note: Fancy Nancy was in the shop while I was sweeping and found my dirt/feed/dust pile. It's not a good idea to sweep the floors around chickens, unless you enjoy sweeping over and over and over again, and never accomplishing anything, we'll except for providing the birds with some of the most excited scratching of their lives.

20210111_094811.jpg

Close up of the comb.
20210109_193835.jpg

Thank you so much!

Still no eggs from Fancy Nancy, but I checked her pelvis spacing this morning after noticing her being a little more vocal (she's always been a chatty bird) and it's definitely opening up. I think she'll be laying soon but if she takes a while longer, that's perfectly fine as long as she's healthy and happy. She has started going to the nesting box with her flockmate while she lays.

Back
Top Bottom