Confirmed Case of Asian Bird Flu in Arkansas

Parson's Wife

Blessed Abundantly
15 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Arkansas
My sister called just a few minutes ago. There is a case of confirmed Asian Bird Flu in their area...they (she) is now under a 10 mile quarenteen.
*** That is Northwest Arkansas***
She is very concerned. She has already been informed by the state dept. of health to contact them for testing of her flock.
She is rather in a panic.
Fellow Arkansans....please take notice.

barnie.gif

Only a matter of time before it travels all the way over here in Maine- or even Alaska and Canada. Hope they come up with a vaccine or something! Thank you for posting this information, I appreciate it!!!

I know they instituted a quarantine and were testing flocks because of the Tyson birds that had antibodies to a low pathogen version of avian flu show up in routine screenings recently. Do you know if this might be related to that or if it's a separate situation? Unfortunately, I don't know what region of the state the Tyson quarantines are in.

I bet your glad they didn't hatch! We may have to stop swapping birds.
Once upon a time, many many years ago, cattle were being exposed to disease and they had no idea how it was being passed (1940's and 50's). Yet when farmers stopped allowing other farmers into their barns, or wearing clean cover alls with boot covers, the spread of disease became controlable.
Now when you see a artificial breeders (and most vets), he dips his boots in a disinfectant, slips boot covers on, disinfects when he leaves after tossing those boot covers in your trash can.
Never put a bovine in with others until you quarenteen, even a bull if you use live boys.
I learned my lesson back years ago when I tossed a new canary in with my breeding stock, it had tracheal mites! What a disaster that could have been. Each canary(20 of them) recieved Ivomectin (equaling 1/2 drop
hmm.png
) and amoxycillin (1 drop) 4 times a day. Yes FOUR times a day. UGH. I did not loose any canaries, but decided that I had had enough of that business.

Lets see if we at BYC can keep this Avian Flu down to a minimum following basic guidelines. Have a good day.

Just an FYI: just because you hear "bird flu," it does not mean that it's the Asian strain. The strain of bird flu that has been causing all the mass culls in Asia is *NOT* the same strain reported in the link regarding the AR birds. There are many different strains of avian influenza, most of which have a very-low to nonexistent risk of human infection.

The strain to be worried about, that has the highest risk of jumping the species barrier from birds to humans, is H5N1, which has not been found in the US to date.

In addition to chickens, I also care for raptors, and I would know from our state fish and wildlife office if we had to start worrying about H5N1 in the US.

Not to say that it isn't sad that people's chooks are at risk for this disease, but given the choice between a strain that only my chickens can get, and one that can get me...chickens are replaceable.

Quote:
Thank you VERY much for your comments, I certainly needed clarifying on this subject, and I'm sure that I am not the only one that cringed at this article. Thankyou again.

Back
Top Bottom