Confirmed polish rooster- heard the crow. Have roosterphobia....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by augustwest, Jul 11, 2011.

1. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    We've only had chickens for 18 months or so. It's been a crazy journey for us so far and we've lost more chickens than I care to count! We're stable now and have a great, safe run and coop for our current 12. We free range when we can be outside with them. Everyone (knock on wood) is healthy and seems happy. Everyone is young, so we are only getting one egg a day.

Last year, we had a silkie roo that was sweet as pie that was killed by a hawk when he was free-ranging. He was a doll and gave me confidence to get another roo. So, this winter we got a little trio of chickens- 2 pullets and a little roo. That little roo was a terror! He was flogging my 4 year old daughter and got her good.... even without talons. We were all scared of him- the ladies, too. THANKFULLY, a local woman took him. He was not a good fit for us. We couldn't catch him to pick him up, so rehabbing him was not an option. We've been very happy for the past 5 months WITHOUT a roo. So quiet and no screaming ladies.

(as an aside, we saw him this weekend while visiting his new home and he was GIGANTIC! He is an ancona- very pretty- and he's not shown any aggression at her house. He may have needed another roo to show him the way.)

Currently, we have 6 chickens that are about 10 weeks old- all bantams- and 6 standards that are just about laying age. One of the bantams, a polish, is a roo. [​IMG] We started to suspect it about 2 weeks ago, but the crowing this am confirmed it.

He's TINY- like the size of a dove at this point. He's easy to catch, but is not friendly. He's been challenging the dogs and the cats, but they don't care about him. He's also been challenging some of the older hens, but again, no one seems to care.

So, my question is, do I rehome him NOW? or, do I wait to see if we can tolerate him? For me, the advantage of a rooster is the warning that he provides. But, a polish roo? He's not exactly a rocket scientist.

Just looking for some feedback- realizing that I am a WIMP!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    There are a number of things you could do to help make him a better roo. You could put him through rooster boot camp: pretnd you are the head rooster. Chase his little fluffy butt around, "peck" him when he does something naughty in your presence (even if he's being naughty to another chicken), walk tall when your in the coop- act like you run the place. You could also remove his spurs when he gets older- then maybe you will see him as less of a threat. Simply twist them off with a pair of pliars. I've had some cuddly roosters, but most are content to just get the heck outta my way when they see me, never had a human aggressive roo. My current head guy hates my dog. He sneaks up behing him and flogs the heck out of him. But any person can walk into my run and pick him up. And if you don't pick him up he'll follow you everywhere and sit on your feet. Good luck- if he doesn't work out for you, turn him into soup. There are lots of gentlmen out there, no need to hang onto a jerk.

3. jaimepowell

jaimepowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Wellsville
    We have/had a mean roo--Mr. Orangey (he is a RIR) is what my kids named in. We have them in a coop and dog run that is 12ft x 6ft with a little L shape at the end with an additional 6ft x 6ft of space. We raised him from a chick and the older he got the meaner he got. He has pecked me once good-drew blood-and has pranced towards the kids a couple times but never pecked at them. He seems to know I'm terrified of him [​IMG] and that the kids could care less-how do they know these things! Once I started letting him free range he turned into a whole new guy. I wouldn't say he is lovable at all but he is not aggressive at all when he is out of the coop/pen. He still likes to guard the flock if they are in the pen and doesn't like anyone getting too close or coming in. If we have to go in I take my chicken stick just in case lol. I was going to make a stew out of him but I figure he is doing a good job keeping everyone safe so for now he can still be a part of the family [​IMG] Good luck with yours!

4. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    Quote:Thanks to both of you! I think we'll give him a chance. He makes these adorable whistling sounds which is helping his cause, too.

5. schoenherr

schoenherr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Paynesville, Minnesota
    We purchased a white crested black polish thinking it was a hen. We named her Pink, after the singer. She started having challenging antics but very protecting of another polish we know is a hen. She has crooked toes and is a little disabled. The other day he crowed. So we now call him Prince formerly known as Pink. He is a sweet heart though. He is small and the other hens are bigger breeds. So far they do not have his respect. We are going to keep Prince. So far he is good to the hen polish named Tina Turner, (the crippled hen).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by