Confirming my thoughts:

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mobilelyn, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Mobilelyn

Mobilelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    I have 5 new pullets that were vaccinated for Cocci but today one of them is pooping frequent bloody poops (no poo really there just a bloody liquid.)

I am trying to determine which it is but in the meantime, Cocci vaccination does not vaccinate against ALL strains of Cocci correct? If I am incorrect, what are my other possibilities?

I did a physical exam on each & was unable to see any evidence of blood on their vent or feathers. I did not notice any hard crops but will check again tonight & tomorrow morning to be sure.

My gut instinct is to treat for Cocci anyway but I would really like confirmation.

TIA!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could also take a stool sample to a vet and have it checked for coccidiosis, bacteria and yeast.

-Kathy

4. Mobilelyn

Mobilelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Thanks! I just found the nearest Avian Vet & will wait for the next Poop to collect. In the meantime, I have stated them all on Corrid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by