confiscated cockfighting birds, questions??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mom'sfolly, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Here in Austin, a cockfighting operation was just shut down. The paper said they had seized 400 roosters, hens and other birds. Does anyone know what happens to these poor birds. The roos certainly wouldn't be adoptable for anyone with other birds, but they would be used to handling. What do the "authorities" do with 400 assorted chickens? Poor chickies:hit

Karen

2. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    WOW, Karen, can you post the article? I don't get the paper and I can't find it online. I would ove to read it.

3. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    I can say from watching Animal Planet that everytime fighting chicken stock is seized - the birds have been put down.

4. DitzzyChic

DitzzyChic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    WV
    It's pretty standard that they be put down. They'll never be able to live a normal life with just 'regular' chickens. Now, on the occassion that you hatch one & not use it for fighting they can sometimes grow up normal. But, after they've been fought that's all they know. JMHO

5. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Years ago they broke up a cockfighting operation here in southwestern Mich and confescated the birds. They were kept till there was a trial and they put down the birds. I would think that cockfighting roosters would pretty docile to humans as they would be a handful to their owners if they were aggressive.

6. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I saw that too. A few from San Marcos were involved.

You might contact the police and see what they did with the birds. Game hens make excellent mothers and a lot of people use them for broodys.

If you can convince the authorities you just want to rescue some hens, they might let you.

As Hotwings mentioned, they may keep them until after the trial, but I cannot imagine any authority around here that can house and feed that many birds properly.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Sorry folks, cockfighting posts are not allowed here.

See the "rules" link at the top of the main page.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by