Conflict within Daphne’s flock - need ideas!

my muscovies are young and will not breed before march/april. the others will be about 1 year old at that time.
All I was saying is that it can sneak up anytime, and you want to be on top of it when it does. We have to be pretty hands-on managing the flock from April-ish through early September(ish).

My current flock of three has been together for 2 and 1/2 years. Daphne (Rouen hen) is one of the first ducks that came into my life 3 years ago. My two Muscovy hens came later after Daphne’s friend Margie the Pekin passed away. Daphne is now 5 years old. Her “sisters” are now 2 and 1/2. They have been a good happy flock with momentary moments of conflict arising due to hormones, molting, or boredom. However, there’s been a recent shift in the hierarchy, and Daphne is now solidly at the bottom! I fear this could become an unsafe situation based off of my observations as of late. Daphne seems more fragile, and I think her sisters know it. In the world of fowl, it seems any weakness is an invitation for attack.

What do I do? I’m attached to everyone at this point, but something needs to change. Do I

1) Provide Daphne with her own safe place to stay in alone in times of danger? Problem: she would be alone, and it seems like it’s punishing her for something that’s not her fault.

2) Find Daphne a new Mallard-derived friend? This risks a new hen becoming a victim too. Also, there’s the usual health risks to adding someone new. Also, hens are harder to find.

3) Ditch the ‘Scovies AND find Daphne newMallard-derived friends? I’m attached to the ‘Scovy girls too, and I don’t want them to become meat.

4) Give Daphne away? She’s fragile and has ongoing reproductive issues that require veterinary care.

5) ?

Please help with any ideas you might have. I really hate to see Daphne in this situation! :hit
I've been thinking about Daphne's situation and I can't come up with any more solutions. 🙁

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you all very very much for taking the time to reply! :hugs
Daphne does have a wound (laceration, but it’s already healing) on the webbing of one foot, one which I do not think was caused by the other two, but which might have triggered their “Weak duck! Get her!” responses.

I’ve been at work all day, but my hubby said things were not good today. I currently have Daphne tucked in a deep nest of straw and shavings, closed up in the big dog crate that they have in their stall. She has a small water bowl tucked securely at one end and some food (with extra mealworms) as they are all used to being able to access food and water 24/7. There‘s plenty of room for her to stay warm and dry, even if she spills her water. She can see and hear her sisters, but they can’t get to her.

I‘m going to keep them separated, but within eye-sight, for a few days, mainly so that I can better assess Daphne’s overall condition. I want to see if there’s something else going on with her that might be triggering her sister’s aggression.

Daphne is 5 and has had a rough 5 years. I would definitely be interested in adding a mallard derived friend, but I want to make sure she isn’t declining before I do so. I remember that when Margie, Daphne’s original bestie (Pekin) became acutely ill, Daphne was the first to notice. I noticed something was up as Daphne tried to drown Margie!

Soo, I want to make sure the ‘Scovies aren’t just trying to tell me something!

Anyways, I will update as I can and will try to reply individually. Thank you all ever so much again for your caring replies :love

Any way you might have a rescue close by that might have an older domestic female? And possibly have Daphne and her have their own quarters to get bonded? My Muscovy females are much more temperamental than my Runners an Buffs and can be quite testy to them. And to each other also.

Any way you might have a rescue close by that might have an older domestic female? And possibly have Daphne and her have their own quarters to get bonded? My Muscovy females are much more temperamental than my Runners an Buffs and can be quite testy to them. And to each other also.

There don’t appear to be any at rescues nearby, but I have officially put the word out on the “Front Porch Forum”, which is a neighborhood online daily newsletter of sorts, that I am looking for 1-2 older mallard-derived hens. I can create separate quarters for quarantine + areas to get to know each other without touching within the barn. For now, Daphne is in the stall, while the ‘Scovettes are outside the stall in the main barn. They have respected her space and, while they do roost on the walls on the stall, they are leaving her alone. She is a bit beat up, but is her usual spunky and loud self. I’m hoping that someone will have older girls that no longer lay many eggs that they are willing to regime. We will see!

Edited to add: My Muscovy girls are definitely feisty! There’s a reason they were nicknamed Goon 1 and Goon 2 in the beginning. Most of the time, however, it can be managed. I certainly don’t blame them for being who they are. I just think that Daphne needs backup on “Team Mallard-Derived”.

There don’t appear to be any at rescues nearby, but I have officially put the word out on the “Front Porch Forum”, which is a neighborhood online daily newsletter of sorts, that I am looking for 1-2 older mallard-derived hens. I can create separate quarters for quarantine + areas to get to know each other without touching within the barn. For now, Daphne is in the stall, while the ‘Scovettes are outside the stall in the main barn. They have respected her space and, while they do roost on the walls on the stall, they are leaving her alone. She is a bit beat up, but is her usual spunky and loud self. I’m hoping that someone will have older girls that no longer lay many eggs that they are willing to regime. We will see!

Edited to add: My Muscovy girls are definitely feisty! There’s a reason they were nicknamed Goon 1 and Goon 2 in the beginning. Most of the time, however, it can be managed. I certainly don’t blame them for being who they are. I just think that Daphne needs backup on “Team Mallard-Derived”.
Have you tried looking on Petfinder? Where I live I can always find ducks in the bird section on Petfinder.

I did look on Petfinder, but haven’t called local shelters yet. The “Font Porch Forum” is pretty active in my area and I have faith in it. I will call local shelters also. I do have to stay in-state due to Covid rules, but I think that finding a hen or two my area shouldn’t be too hard... Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom