Conflicting reading...how well will a Dark Cornish lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengal30, May 15, 2011.

1. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Well thanks to you all, I found out yesterday that one of my seven week old girls is infact a Dark Cornish, who was sold to me as a Speckled Sussex [​IMG]

Now, Im new to chicken keeping so am learning all I can, but Ive been reading so much about the breed, and have come up with some who say there good layers and some that say maybe youll get one a week, that there mainly meat birds. [​IMG] I only have four girls, so egg production is important to me, and would be very disapointed if it is only one egg a week. Unfortunatly my coop and run, 4 x 4 and 8 x 8 couldnt accomodate a fifth chicken, but I dont think I could get rid of her, she is the sweetest.

How often do your Dark Cornish's lay on average? [​IMG]

Thanks so much!!

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    You will not be dissapointed. I had one and she laid well and she also went broody. Sadly she was killed by a racoon (racoon promptly dispatched) while she was broody.

She laid very well and was a great hen.

There are Cornish X that I think might be the 'meat birds' you have read about.

3. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Oh phew! Thanks for your reply! I sure hope she is a good layer! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by