Confused about a leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SarahoftheChick, Jul 31, 2014.

1. SarahoftheChick

SarahoftheChick In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    So all of my chickens are roughly the same age. One just layed their first egg yesterday. One of my white leghorns has a rather large comb and waddles compared to the other 2. We already had a rooster in the bunch and he crowed a month ago. I'm just curious how can I tell by the comb and waddle? The comb is twice as tall as the others and much more red. Wouldn't it be obvious? I will try to get a picture.

2. SarahoftheChick

Apr 23, 2014
    So here it is. It is acting all strange right now. Just sitting in the nest box. They usually just run from me but this one was just chilling in the nest box and even let me pet it a lot. I tried nudging it out of the box and it wouldn't really move.

[​IMG]

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Looks like a pullet starting to lay

4. SarahoftheChick

Apr 23, 2014
    oh, yay!! I was worried It was another rooster. This is by far the reddest comb of my flock and I just didn't want to believe I have another rooster. Do they just sit in the box like that if they are trying to lay?

5. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Yup, i've seen them take anywhere from 15 mins to a hour, maybe even more when they are just learning to lay

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: