Confused about Ameracauna vs Ee's??

Chicky85254

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
AZ & CA
I have 3 chicks (in question) going on 10wks old now, I bought them from MPC as 1 day olds. After reading over and over again "if you buy from a hatchery that they are Ee's not Ameraucanas", I assumed that what I had were Ee's...which I am fine with. Whatever. I just want to know what I have, one way or the other, really....but definitively.
smile.png
Does that make sense?

So...I looked at this site which shows the accepted colors for Bantam Ameracaunas.. Mine are very definitely a blue female, a silver female and a white female. They are almost identical to those shown in the photos on the following site! So what makes them Ee's and not Ameracaunas? Mine have beards and muffs, but not tufts (which I believe Araucanas have). I will get up to date photos of them tomorrow.

http://www.ameraucana.org

Last edited:
I would say without knowing exactly where they came from, as far as breeders go I would say they are EE. True Ameraucana that are being breed to the SOP are only available from breeders working to improve the breed standard. Some EE's from hatcheries can look very similar to a pure Ameraucana but I guess the only way you will know is to send the photos to an Ameraucana breeder and get his or her opinion.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Look for slate legs instead of green. Pea comb. Proper color. I think that makes for a true ameraucana. There are "pure" other breeds from hatcheries, I don't know why there can't be a "pure" ameraucana from a hatchery...

I have to agree with the thread starter. There is SOO much confusion over this. I ordered an ameraucana from ideal and it said Ameraucanas, known as the "Easter Egg Breed", are a multicolored breed. They have beards, muffs and a normal tail with a tail head. They are often incorrectly called Araucanas, which have ear tuffs, are rumpless, and do not have a tail head which gives them a bunny tail appearance. Most of the chicks sold as Araucanas are really Ameraucanas, which are excellent, efficient producers of large eggs of many colors and shades including blue and green.But then on here I learn that there is a difference between EE and Ameraucanas. So I just have trouble understanding who has what. Don't get me wrong...I love our little chick...and she's very very pretty...but when I have to say what she is...it turns into a story "well, ordered an Ameraucana but may only be an EE if they aren't infact one in the same...blah blah blah"

Quote:
Yep, I guess this is what is confusing to me??

Now to make this more confusing, I read the info on the Ameracauna Breeders Club site http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html which states

"The following information is comprised of excerpts from

The American Standard of Perfection*, 1998,

and has been edited to comply with copyright provisions.

This is not a complete breed description.

For a complete description of all recognized breeds and varieties of domestic poultry always refer to The American Standard of Perfection which is available through the

American Poultry Association. "

So...I went to the American Poultry Association link provided, and couldn't find any information regarding "The American Standard of Perfection" for Ameracaunas. The only thing I found is a link back to the Ameracauna Breeders Club site. So??? Someone help me out...obviously I don't know where to look for the SOP that they are referring to, can you give me a link?

The SOP is in the book that is published by the APA, it gives all the standards for accepted breeds.

You cannot look it up on the computer because it is copyrighted and they want people to buy the book.

I think (Pips&Peeps, correct me if I'm wrong) the biggest difference is as Windy Ridge mentions - EEs do not breed true; Ameraucanas DO.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom