1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused about bedding in henhouse vs. covered run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggspletive!, Sep 11, 2009.

1. eggspletive!

eggspletive! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    First of all, thanks again to everyone for answering all my newbie questions!

I am clear that I'm going to be using pine shavings inside the henhouse, but I'm not sure what to do about the run in my particular situation.

It's a covered run--the same roof covers both the henhouse and the run, all enclosed with hardware cloth. It is built on a packed gravel surface on a slight slope, so it will stay pretty dry. Somehow I was under the impression that I would use the deep litter method with pine shavings in the run as well as the henhouse. Is that crazy? Or should I put sand in the run? Seems like it would be easier to just have pine shavings everywhere--that way I could just sweep out the henhouse into the run.

Advice, please!

2. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    I would do shavings in the coop and sand outside. the shavings will break down over time in the run and get a bit slimy and nasty.

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I do sand, and when its hot they love dust baths to stay cool, so what I do is get a mister, and put it on, they all come into the run on a hot day to mist in the water and play in the sand...then daily once Ive misted, I get a Hoe and I go in and turn the sand over and over, they love running after me trying to find bugs....I almost hit them with the hoe they follow so close....

You can feel the cool sand on your feet if you do it this way

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Outside, they like to scratch and look for food a lot and take dust baths.

Sand or bark would be better out there. I'm in the Pacific NW, so bark is better for me.

What state are you in? Will you ever get sideways rain blowing in the sides of the run?

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I have dirt in the run. Every fall we just pile up the oak leaves and throw them in. They break them down and love dusting in the dirt.

6. eggspletive!

eggspletive! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm in Idaho--not too much sideways rain but we do get a ton of snow. I went on a chicken coop tour in Seattle and a few people had shavings in their covered runs, which is where I got the idea. But it sounds like sand or bark would be better for us.

If I use bark, would the shredded cedar mulch be okay? Or is that bad for them?

7. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    My run is just dirt. They dust bath by the walnut tree. I do sprinkle a little DE in run from time to time though.

8. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    eggspletive! :

I'm in Idaho--not too much sideways rain but we do get a ton of snow. I went on a chicken coop tour in Seattle and a few people had shavings in their covered runs, which is where I got the idea. But it sounds like sand or bark would be better for us.

If I use bark, would the shredded cedar mulch be okay? Or is that bad for them?

I don't think the oils in the cedar mulch are good for chickens...I have read that somewhere on this forum.​

9. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    I tried shavings at first, but they got all icky and I kept having to add more, now I use sand. It's helped a lot with flies and it's easier to rake out the feathers and poop. It might also be cheaper in the long run. Just make sure you buy it from a dirt/rock/stone vendor. Most people think these business are strictly commercial, but they sell to individuals too. I bought a 1/4 yard and I think I spent around $15 (I could be wrong, but it wasn't pricey enough for me to remember). If you bought that much bagged sand at Lowes or Home Depot, it would probably cost a whole lot more.

10. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I have 2 coops and 2 covered runs. in one coop I have sand in the run and shavings in the coop. the other has sand in the run and in the coop. sand in both is by far and away the best way to go. when it is time to change out the shavings in the one coop we will replace it with sand. its about 30.00 a yard, and a yard is a lot!!

Connie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by