confused about chick care????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SpotsandStripes, Nov 27, 2011.

1. SpotsandStripes

SpotsandStripes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Next year early spring I am hoping to get some little chicks of my own, only a day old and about four of them.

I hear lots of different methods of raising them and what sort of bedding to use in brooder etc etc but I was wondering what your opinions were and what had worked best for you with a small flock and young chicks.

Lots of tips and advice would be appreciated.

xx [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
  3. Hannah Jesenko

Hannah Jesenko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Make sure you use newspaper for the bedding, because they will try to eat the pine shavings. Good Luck!

4. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    We use shelf liner (the thick soft stuff with holes in it) for the first couple of days, once they are eating their crumble and know where their food is we switch them over to pine shavings. Then at about a week and a half to two weeks (when the shavings start to get stinky) we start using animal bedding pellets (these are sometimes called stall pellets and are popular with horse people). We absolutely love them. They absorb moisture and smell like none other. In our layers coop we put in 3 bags (which we later found out was to much) and it lasted almost a year with no smell and no flies. We do sprinkle a little DE in the coop as well. The pellets when they get wet turn into this very soft material that will continue to absorb over and over again as long as it dries out in between. You can leave it in pellet form or you can moisten with some water and let it fluff. Best of luck with your chicks!

5. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Anyone tried using puppy pee pads for bedding? Its thick and soft (paper towelly on top ) with the absorbant plastic liner on bottom... we have two boxes left over from our puppy (now house trained) that I need to use up and I was thinking it would be convenient we are getting day old chicks next week....

6. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I would think it would work just fine. Many people use those for ducklings because they make such a mess with the water. Just check often to make sure they are not pecking and eating any. Good luck with your new chickies!

7. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Great thanks!

8. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    My own opinion is NOT to use newspapers. When we used it a couple of years ago in school, we experienced a lot of chicks that ended up with splayed legs. After that, we always used shavings with paper towel laid over top; we removed the soiled paper towel every day for a week a couple of weeks or so, then we just had the shavings.

At home I did the same...shavings with paper towel, then just shavings. I never had a problem wiht chicks eating the shavings, but perhaps I've just been fortunate?

9. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Did you use the slick and shiny newspaper or the regular newspaper?

10. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I always use dirt from my garden.

I put in a deep layer that is just slightly damp - but not wet!

It stops ALL the bad smells, and it has grit in it and is natural so if they eat it (which they never do) it would be safe.

I change the lot once a week.

If they spill water on it it will soak it up quickly also.

Its FREE too!

I never uses shaving anymore as they are so messy and my chicks ate them (although they did not get sick).
    newspaper can cause splayed legs and gets slippy when wet with water (and can be toxic because of the ink).
    Paper towels are OK for the first couple of days - but they soon get dirty and STINK. Also chicks will tear it up and eat it for sure. Then the bottom of the brooder is bare and everything gets wet and slimy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by