Confused about chick food -- chick starter, grow mash, scratch???

You can either feed them the starter until it runs out, then switch them to grower until they lay...or finish that bag, then switch them to a start n grow. It is dependent on what your feed store carries. I've heard some Walmart stores will take orders for chicken feed if you let them know. They have it brought in with the dog/cat foods and will call you when it arrives. Something to consider if you can't find what you want.

You can leave them on the starter or you may change to grower, if you can find any. It's not a big issue as long as they are on feed for youngsters.
smile.png
Some keep them on Game Bird Grower from hatch to death and add oyster shell for calcium at laying age.It has slightly higher protein and usuallly contains animal protein for better feathering.

The different brands of feed often look a lot different. Yours are fine on the medicated starter mash. It is what I would choose if I could. Around here I can only get what they call medicated starter/grower, one product that people use til they start laying. So I feed that. I could go to TSC and get separate formulations for starter and grower, but TSC's is not medicated, and I want the med til they are old enough to have some immunity to cocci.

Some people stay with grower even after laying begins, but add free choice calcium, usually in the form of oyster shell. Layer has too much calcium for babies, so if you have a broody raising chicks, this is the easy way to go, as the chicks won't really get into calcium (oyster shell) they don't need, and grower is fine for chicks as well as laying or broody hens if the hens also have a source of calcium available.

I use scratch as one of the treats for my hens, and just started using it for my 8 week olds, along with free choice grit. My reading indicates it is not all that nutritious, although it provides some extra energy for them to stay warm in cold months. They do love it. I give treats for both groups, but in small quantities, mostly so they will come when I call them. All also have access to grass, weeds and bugs.

Related question: Is there an age that it's important to STOP using the medicated starter?

My chicks are 5 weeks old, and I just had to buy a new bag. I bought the medicated starter again. It will probably last them a long long time (only 5 chicks, 50# bag). Is it OK to feed this until it runs out? I think I was told to use medicated for the first 7 weeks only.

Thanks,

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom