Confused about chicks. Help.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tiffany24, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Tiffany24

Tiffany24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Hi, Earlier this afternoon my husband and I got 6 chicks. 4 are pullets but I'm wondering what breed they are. The other 2 I'm not sure of their breed or gender. Any help would be appreciated. Here are a few pictures. The second and third pictures are the same chick. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crazy4chickens5

crazy4chickens5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    NH
    It is actually impossible to tell you exactly what the future chicken breed will be, because so many breeds have look-a-like chicks. But I can tell you that the dark yellow are most likely buff orpingtons, and the light yellows are white leghorns. Those ones are usually quite easy to tell at that age.Hope I helped a bit! :)
    -Kyle

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I'm sorry I'm not much help but the only thing I can tell you is that the two smallest ones are bantam's. Bantam's are fun and are usually pretty great layers and mine often go broody! The roosters can be pretty mean though. You really have to show em who's boss! They sure are cute though!

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Mystery bantam #1-Golden Sebright.

Mystery chick #2-Could be a lot of things, but one thing it isn't is an EE or Ameracauna. I see a LOT of people saying that a chipmunk-y looking chick is one of those two breeds, even when they lack the trademark puffy cheeks and greenish legs. Yours is definitely not one of those two breeds, but could be a ton of others!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  5. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with sparrow on #1 being a Golden sebright.

#2 possible Silver Duckwing OWBG?

6. Tiffany24

Oct 6, 2012
    Thanks, I love this sight. [​IMG]

7. Tiffany24

Oct 6, 2012
    Updates on the chicks. The littlest 2 passed away a few days after I made this tread which broke my heart. I got very attached to them. The other 4 are doing great and eat like little piggies. Here are a few pictures. Do they still look like White Leghorns and Buff Orpingtons? Thanks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kassyc88

Kassyc88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thoseones are not buffs, they look to me just like my red/gold sex links. I have both buffs and sex links chicks right now as well as other breeds that are 2.5 weeks old.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They are not buffs, they are Red SLs. You can ID them even while small by their little caramel racing stripes on their backs. These stripes mean that they are female.

The other two are Leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by