confused about cocci and developed imunity

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nickie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Being new to chickens I have one thing I just can't quite understand yet and that is about cocci and the developed imunity. You see, I know that it is recommended to feed them medicated feed for a period if time to help prevent it, but does that interfere with them building up their systems against it? Another thing I'm lost about is if I am feeding the medicated feed what happens when they go outside to the grass and are exposed to it (maybe) shouldn't they always be on medicated feed? Maybe I'm slow, but I am really lost. Can someone please clarify?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    From what I've read, medicated feed is not full strength anti-coccidial, the theory being that they will still build immunity as they grow to adults, and have some protection from the feed.

3. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Thanks for the reply, but that leaves me another question: how long do I give medicated feed?

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You feed it until they are laying age, approx 16 weeks.

5. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    I am by far no expert and draw mostly from my own experiences but I believe medicated started gives a very low dose of the medicine (Amprolin) which helps but does not prevent the youngsters from getting cocci as they are building their immunity. I do not feed medicated feeds. When my chicks are a couple of days old, I start adding, daily, small amounts of dirt/poop from the big girls coop into the chicks brooder for about 2-3 weeks so that they get exposed to the cocci which I know exists in my soil. If cocci is contracted, I usually start seeing signs in the chicks 10 -14 days after starting this if it is going materialize. I keep Corid on hand and treat if I see any sign of Cocci. Only had to treat once in about 10 batches of chicks since I have started this method and lost many chicks prior using medicated and non-medicated feeds and none since. Hope this helps and someone else more knowledgeable can speak to this or correct me if I have mistated anything [​IMG]

6. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    So, don't bother with the nonmedicated at all? My hatchery recomended it for 7 weeks only, I think that's why I'm so lost.

7. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    What is corid, and where do I get it for on hand purposes?

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Zanna, sounds right to me.

Some people don't use medicated feed, some do. I've never used it, but this year I had a chick with cocci, and decided to use it. Personally,I don't know how long is recommended.

9. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Corid is a stronger form of Amprolin which you add to their water daily for a certain number of days (can't remember how many or the dose off hand). You can buy it online or local feed stores often stock it or can get it in for you. Some people treat with Sulmet, I think this is a stronger product and one I have not used...... Medicated or Non-Medicated feed, you have to do what you think will work for you. My personal belief is only treat when there is a cureable (sp?) known problem.

10. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Thanks so much, that is the one thing I just couldn't figure out, and this is all so new to me. I'm so attached to those silly little guys already and I want to do what I can to keep them happy and healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by