confused about dates...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I think I'm on day 7 for most of my eggs. I put them in around 9am on the 13th...am I calculating right? or are they on day 6...hmmmm. 1 egg was put in in the pm of the 13th and about 4 more on the 14th am and pm.....Is this going to mess things up when it comes time for hatching?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Count by hours. 24 hours later is one day. If set monday, they will hatch sunday, 21 days later. Adding eggs generally shouldn't be done, however it is not a death sentence for the chicks. A seperate hatcher would be nice but not necessary. Just have to raise humidity enough for ones to hatch, but not so high the others drown. Best of luck.

3. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkie gave you good info there.

For these, your sets are not all that far apart and you could just use the evening of the 13th as time zero (0) and count from there. It should all work out OK if you keep good conditions. If you always remember to record the set day as day 0 you will find counting simple.

Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  4. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Thank you so much for your advice and info....I am learning so much on this site. I would recommend this site to any chicken owners. Again, thank you...so it's 7 days today for most of my eggs and 6 for the others.... cool. Oh I just thought of something, with candling, I would be able to tell if a chick is developing but if I see nothing, or just a yolk then I can take those eggs out now,right? I have a few that show nothing, and other that have squiggley-wiggleys in them( they are very active lil' ones).

5. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by