Confused about eggs- Got a couple softies!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DogsnDucksMT, Oct 16, 2019.

1. DogsnDucksMT

DogsnDucksMT Hatching

Oct 16, 2019
    Butte, MT
    I started with a dozen Indian Runners 10 girls and 2 boys to use them for herding practice with my dogs - received them in May (23rd) as hatchlings from Metzer Farms. They're thriving so well , totally spoiled etc. I have done everything correct so far I THINK! I added brewers yeast to their crumbles for the first 5 mos, until just recently when I switched them to the adult "Laynea" pellets. Also have out some oyster shells free choice for them. They have a nice house for nighttime and they roam free during the day. I also acquired two older (2yr old) runner hens from a friend this summer as well and they are layers. Not the first couple of weeks and not consistent, but they do lay now, sometimes 1 egg sometimes 2. ( I figure it was due to stress and them acclimating to the new place) . Two days ago I got a soft shelled egg out in a mud puddle area by the coop at 5PM , then one egg on Tuesday morn and then another soft shell one last night, and two in a a little "nest" in the coop this morning One was small like a chicken egg size & one large normal one. Are the new ducks laying these or are the two old ones going over board? I don't have a web cam on them so I not sure if I need to do worthing to help them or if its just a young duck getting started out ...it was just strange that the egg was out on the ground sort of in the mud puddle both times and late afternoon.

slordaz likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Do you provide oyster shell? If not put in a separate dish. Plus young layers lay strange eggs when beginning to lay.

DuckyDonna, Miss Lydia and slordaz like this.
  3. CoriM

CoriM Chirping

Jun 6, 2019
    My ducks have been laying for a few weeks now and I still occasionally get a strange egg. For the most part they lay pretty eggs in their nesting box, but just last night there was a soft-shelled egg in the run. I've had several soft-shelled and also had a super tiny one - the size of a large marble. I guess it's normal as they're starting out.

DuckyDonna, Miss Lydia and slordaz like this.
  4. chickens really

The first year you can get crazy eggs. So only beginning to lay layers have months to get the egg machine in working order...:frow
    Or the older Hens need Oyster shell in the diet.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. DogsnDucksMT

DogsnDucksMT Hatching

Oct 16, 2019
    Butte, MT
    Yes , they have oyster shell and their food is also oyster shell supplemented type ..

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. chickens really

Then keep waiting because they are not regular yet.

DogsnDucksMT likes this.
  7. DogsnDucksMT

DogsnDucksMT Hatching

Oct 16, 2019
    Butte, MT
    The soft shell ones hav been normal size , but this morning there were 2 in the little area in coop together one big one small ..but not tiny, more chicken egg sized) Do they swap out of their little nests and one hen will lay then move and another comes in>>??

chickens really likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

They seem to like to lay where there is already an egg or mine do.

DogsnDucksMT likes this.
  9. chickens really

Yes..Or she is overly producing eggs so come out soft at this time.

DogsnDucksMT likes this.
  10. DogsnDucksMT

DogsnDucksMT Hatching

Oct 16, 2019
    Butte, MT
    Yes Ok makes sense that one lays one and loves out and the other comes in to lay...the gal I got the two older ones from said that one of them is broody, so im assuming she's my consistent one- Im supplement ng the light in their house at night so its off at 9pm and comes on at around 5 am ,,so they get the full 14 hours that they supposedly need to keep laying ...not sure what all is true but Im making it nice for em..they even have 2 radiant heaters for cold nights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: