Confused About Flu?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rodriguezpoultry, Oct 24, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    So, my boyfriend (wuss) went to the doctor to get Tamiflu. They tested him and he had the flu type A. Knowing that I'm the only one he could have gotten it from, and since it follows in the same exact footsteps as mine did, I'm assuming that's what I had as well.

We asked her what that meant, and she said "It's not the seasonal flu."

OK. "It's not swine either."

Well what is it? Are there actually 4 different types of flu? A seasonal, A and B and a swine?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

There are usually several different strains of flu. People that get a flu shot are getting vaccinated against the MOST prevalent strain, not all. Type A is most widespread, though not so this year.

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    See, I can understand the "strains" part of it. It's why everything is usually seen as "seasonal" or "swine" this year? Where does this fit under there? "Regular flu"?

4. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Type A is a generic term. Swine flu and seasonal flu are both type A.

99.9% of flu going around right now is Swine flu. The seasonal flu usually comes later.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:THAT is true. 99.9% of the people sick right now have the h1n1 not matter how mild it may seem.

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    But she said it wasn't the seasonal flu and it wasn't swine flu?

Pretty much she lied?

7. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I had read that H1N1 is type A also. And yes, it is rampant right now. I was told by the clinical director at our local health department that it is H1N1 going around because it is too early for seasonal. My hubby had it and then it turned into pneumonia and then my DD got it. The flu part was pretty mild. The pneumonia part was not for my hubby. And from what I have read about it, I'm thinking that I may have had it in September. Then passed it onto my youngest DD. I had no idea that's what it was. I remember thinking that I felt like I had the flu, but then thinking it's too early for the flu. I had the seasonal flu for the first time last year and it took me three weeks to feel better. Two weeks of that I was down and out. The H1N1 seems to last anywhere from 3-5 days for many people.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

When you get a cold, you never get the same exact cold again. You can have 100 varieties of colds and all are viral. They call them colds because they don't have names for them all and new ones are always developing.

"THE FLU" is just a prevalent type of virus that is categorized as a particular type based on it's evolutionary history. There are type A, type B, and type C, each with sub classes as defined by their hemagglutinin and neuraminidase RNA. A is most "popular" as it most commonly infects humans, while C is rarely heard of because most people won't even get sick when they get it.

So basically, you can get "the flu" and it can be one of many types of flu strains. Because they are all related, if you get the popular one for the year, you may develop antibodies that not only recognize that popular one, but also related strains. This means you can be exposed to other flu types and depending on how related they are to the one you had, you may or may not get sick from it.

A similar "swine flue/H1N1" went though the population back in like the late 70's and early 80's, so if you were alive then, this flu will likly not hit you very hard at all. However, if you are younger, oh in your 20's or late teens, you may be more vulnerable. That said, unless you have some other underlying condition, drink plenty of fluids and stop panicking like the media likes you to think.

As for classification.... it can all mean different things to different people so seasonal, swine, other... doesn't really matter in the scope of things.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Both types of fluy (seasonal and swine) are occurring in Az, and I think many places. DS was diagnosed with type B. I think he was over it by the time he was diagnosed.

10. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:It depends how far the testing went. They need to subtype it to know what kind it is.
    It may be one of the less prevalent type A influenzas out there although it would be rare.

Type B influenza goes around every year as well but it is usually a milder disease. There is always a type B in the trivalent seasonal flu vaccine each year but is usually less worrisome than the more severe type A out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by