Confused about grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vickilynn45, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    I've been researching and am getting conflicting reports about grit. My chicks are a week old today and are on medicated feed. Do I also need to do grit now or wait? They are scratching a lot (so cute!) If I do need it, do I need chick grit, or sand- and if sand would sand I got from the ocean years ago be ok or not? It's been kept in ziplock baggies.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If all they are eating is their chick starter then no, they don't need grit yet. If they are scratching where they may be finding little bugs and other things then they could use some grit. I don't know that I'd use ocean sand though. I don't know if there would be high salt content issues with that or other pollutant issues... I just give mine chick grit from the feed store.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If you just feed them crumble then they don't need grit to digest that. If you give them treats then some grit is a good idea. Giving them some sand to peck at should be fine. At a week old, I would still stick to treats that are easy to digest like small bits of scrambled egg or a small amount of crumbled rolled oats.

4. Vickilynn45

Apr 16, 2012
    Ok, I'll check our supply store today for some when I'm out- thanks! I wondered about the salt content of the ocean sand.

5. kenjofarms

kenjofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    The sand doesn't contain salt. The ocean does. Rinse the sand.[​IMG]
    I think I would get commercial grit though.

6. Vickilynn45

Apr 16, 2012
    Haha, brain fog on my part. [​IMG] I'll do commercial grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by