1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused about measurements

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by my8girls, Sep 3, 2014.

1. my8girls

my8girls New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Hi! This may be a silly question. We're building a coop for 8 chickens. I know it's recommended to have 4 square feet per chicken; am I correct in assuming this is the size of the building itself, not including the run? I'm planning on a 6x6 building. Is that correct?

Thanks!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes - for the guidelines you are using the 4 square feet is coop and the corresponding recommended run space is a minimum 10 square feet per bird. There are other guidelines that can be used depending on climate, LF/bantam, etc - but I like this as a good base line to work from - and, of course, these are minimums, more space per bird is never a bad thing.

3. David1998

David1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Yes, that's the way I understand it. And, that assumes they will have access to a run or free range most of the day. If they'll be in the coop or extended periods of time (winter in cold climates or no run/free range access), then the recommendation is 10 sqft/bird.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Oh - and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. my8girls

my8girls New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    You guys are quick, thanks! It's 5 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Australorps, and a Buff Orpington. So maybe a little bigger wouldn't hurt.

I'm in Colorado, so it does get cold, but not like it does in the NE. That brings me to another question. Is it okay to leave their coop door open at night, as long as the run is very secure?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by