confused about medications/supplements/vitamins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kmatt87, Apr 14, 2012.

1. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i got our chicks at a ranch supply store and never realized chickens needed to get vaccinations/medications/supplements

Where do i start? What NEEDS to be done? What's optional?

2. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    From my limited experience, pretty much all of those are optional in a backyard flock. My starter feed was medicated, because that was what was available and what my feed store had feed the birds, but I don't plan to do any other meds unless I see issues.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I never used any medicated feed on my birds, nor have a vaccinated any of them. That is all up to you and what you feel is necessary. My thoughts are that my chicks needed to grow up as natural as possible.

If they are on a good feed, then no added vitamins are really needed. However I occasionally add probiotics to the water a few times a month for healthy crop bacteria, along with ACV in the water a few times a month, also for crop health. Tomatoes everyday to keep the crop ph low. (the crop seems to be the bull's eye for issues with poultry. LOL At least in my flock)

You might want to get some Duramycin antibiotics to have on hand just in case somebody does get sick and needs treatment. Duramycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic and will take care of most issues with chickens.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You don't need any of it though as it sounds like you're new to keeping chickens I do recommend using medicated chick starter. The rest of it is not necessary so long as your chick starter is fresh and they are allowed to have it free choice.

5. bcbug1

bcbug1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Ask the feed store if the chicks were vaccinated (if from a large hatchery there's a good chance they were) - if they were vaccinated, DON'T use medicated feed as it nullifies the vaccine (that's what I read when I got mine).

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    That would be if they were vaccinated for coccidia not all vaccinations. If they were vaccinated for coccidia then you should not use medicated feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by