Confused about molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new2chicks GBG PA, Sep 27, 2007.

1. new2chicks GBG PA

new2chicks GBG PA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    About a month ago we noticed that our Dominiques seemed to have quite a few feathers blowing around the run and we went from getting 4 eggs a day to 1. So we thought they were going to start molting. Well over the past few days there aren't as many feathers laying around and we are back to 4 eggs a day. [​IMG] Are they done molting? I feel like I missed something because we didn't have any half naked chickens running around. [​IMG] I'm not sure how old they are as they were given to us but I would say they are at least 2-3 yrs old.

Could it possably be because we added new chicks to the flock? We were really surprised at how well the integration went. No pecking, and no one being mean. It only took about 2 weeks for the chicks to start roosting in the big coop at night instead of the built in brooder box.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

3. new2chicks GBG PA

new2chicks GBG PA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    thank you for the information.

I guess it is possable then that our chickens just molt a little at a time. At least we know we didn't do anything that may have interfered with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by