Confused about Muscovy Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicabee19, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I asked about Muscovy duck egg-laying a while back and someone told me they would lay only a few months out of the year.

While discussing the subject with someone recently, she told me if you remove the eggs daily, a Muscovy will continue laying every day pretty much year-round.

Which is correct?

thanks! [​IMG]

2. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I would like to know the same thing... [​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i am wondering as well . I bought three females at the fair but the havent laid an egg yet. I thought they only lay around 60 eggs or so a year. WE have to wait for Brenda se has some girls that are laying.

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I dunno exactly how many eggs they laid but . I got a hen last november and she didnt lay until june and ever since then she hasnt stopped except for a week i belive . so i dunno if i have en extremly "eggy" female or if they lay . I do take the eggs every day

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Our Muscovies will sit on about 3 clutches of eggs a year, each clutch about 20 eggs -ish. If you collect the eggs they will lay more. We have about 30 or 40 Muscovies so we pretty much get eggs year round.

Steve in NC

6. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Next year I'm going to just raid the nest every day then, because my drakes are either not fertile, or not interested--not a one of her eggs even started developing, regardless of whether she sat on them or I put them in the bator. The ones I've eaten sure have been tasty though!

7. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Heather j Are you sure that all your muscovies are pure ? Mybe a few are mules and they would be sterile . If a muscovey crosses with nother domestic they are sterile and known as mules and they resemble female muscovies

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Are they pure Muscovy? If you mix a muscovy with any other breed of duck they produce "mules" - sterile offspring. So you will get eggs but none will be fertile.

The Muscovy comes from South America and is the only duck that doesn't come from Mallard stock, that is why if mixed they produce mules.

Steve in NC

9. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    My muscovy hen hatched out 7 in June and raised them with some help from me... Then she weaned and started hanging around with male muscovy duck....
    I have 3 baby ones right now in the brooder cause it is too cold outside for her to raise them.... She hatched them out and I slipped them out from under her....
    She has 5 eggs left and sure hope they do not hatch... What to do with ducks this late in year :|
    You know when they start setting to break them up but then you wait and well can't do it after they start to develop.

10. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

My Muscovy laid sat on eggs August 5th, eat 2 bad eggs and hatched 4 out of five, on Sept 10th she sat on 9 eggs, ate 1 bad egg and hatched 7 out of eight, and now looks like she is going to lay again! I am in Brazil and the seasons are opposite the U.S. It is spring now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by