Confused about my broody, please advise!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lceh, Apr 8, 2011.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I am new to ducks so please be patient! My duck started acted broody last Sunday, so I let her keep her eggs and she's been adding an egg a day of her own, plus whatever I've snuck under her from someone else. She has a total of 8 eggs now. She's been sitting tight ever since Sunday evening. In order to keep her flockmate from sneaking eggs in the nest, I set up a second nest box two days ago. Yesterday and today, I found an egg from my broody girl in the NEW nestbox -- apparently she got off her clutch, laid an egg over there, and then got back on her nest. What's up? Is this her way of telling me her clutch is closed and she doesn't want any more eggs added? Or should I put the egg under her with the rest? I know it's hers because she's my only green egg layer.

I have to admit I don't understand how she can be continuing to add eggs to her clutch still have them all hatch around the same time -- is the hatching going to last for several days? This is my first time with a broody so I'm a little unclear. Thanks for any help.

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Ducks take about 28 days to hatch. Even though she laid eggs at different times, somehow, she knows when they will start to hatch. I think she knows how long to set if she knows there are more eggs coming. So in essence, she is "timing" the clutch hatching date.

As far as an egg in another box........are you sure it is her that is laying it?

I personally would not seed more eggs under her. JMHO

3. lceh

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Yes, I know it's hers. I only have 2 hens and she's the only one who lays green eggs. Hmmm. Guess maybe I'll put this last one in the fridge, not under the duck!

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Just let her do her "thing". Don't interfere.....

5. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    When the ducks are truly broody, they will pull feathers/down from their chest and mound it up around the nest. My ducks spent several nights, hovering over the nest. Looked like sitting to me, but they would be off the nest most of the day. I think they were just keeping the eggs from freezing at night. Eggs were added to the nest every day. Then I started seeing the feathers mound up around the nest. laying quit, and ducks turned vicious. If the hen is still laying, she isn't broody. Broody hens do not lay. Check out this recent post. Follow the link to the "hidden duck nest" to see the mounding of down feathers I'm talking about. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=480644 I will add though that only my Muscovy hens have done this. My khaki Campbell hen just mounded up wood chips. But, the khaki Campbell isn't supposed to be broody anyway. I figure she doesn't know how its supposed to be done.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. lceh

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Well, that's what I thought too. But I can tell you for certain that she IS broody. She has not left the nest AT ALL since Sunday during the day except for a quick water/food break (two of which I forced her to take by making her get off the nest). I guess she must have been off for a little bit in the early morning to lay her egg in the other box. The kids and I have been on "broody watch" and have been paying close attention. She is fluffed up and hisses like a snake when I go anywhere near her. She has lined her nest with dried leaves and a few feathers. I'm new to ducks, but I've had broody chickens so I recognize "real broody" compared to "kinda broody" [​IMG]. This girl is serious.

I did find this link, which mentions that broody Muscovies can lay 3-4 eggs after going broody: http://www.phelpswaterfowl.com/Using_Brody_Ducks.htm. Maybe that's what she's up to. Either that, or her flock mate has suddenly changed her egg color from cream to green!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by