1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused about pairs of bantams

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Loriemarler, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Loriemarler

Loriemarler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Blanchard OK
    I am new and just purchased a pair of Millie fleur d'Uccles. I have been reading on here about rooster proportions and over breeding the hen and started thinking I should get another hen but everywhere I look I see pairs for sale. Also the person I bought them from only keeps pairs and my two are 14 months old and have been together awhile. Plus I am weak and bought a special needs pair lol. The roo has frostbite on his comb that I have put neosporin on. The hen has a cataract in one eye (not the grey eye from Marecks) the lady said something had poked her in the eye at one time it has since healed to a cataract. Would another hen upset the balance between these two? They are in good shape feathers are nice and I haven't seen any signs the roo is roughing up the hen. I just want them to be happy.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as things are going smoothly, I would not add another hen. In my experience smaller bantam roosters infrequently cause 'over mating problems'. Large, heavy, clumsy roosters are far more likely to cause problems. Adding a new hen will definitely cause some social restructuring.

3. Loriemarler

Loriemarler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Blanchard OK
    Thanks for the response. I'm a nervous newbie. I want to take good care of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by