Confused about pairs of bantams

Loriemarler

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Blanchard OK
I am new and just purchased a pair of Millie fleur d'Uccles. I have been reading on here about rooster proportions and over breeding the hen and started thinking I should get another hen but everywhere I look I see pairs for sale. Also the person I bought them from only keeps pairs and my two are 14 months old and have been together awhile. Plus I am weak and bought a special needs pair lol. The roo has frostbite on his comb that I have put neosporin on. The hen has a cataract in one eye (not the grey eye from Marecks) the lady said something had poked her in the eye at one time it has since healed to a cataract. Would another hen upset the balance between these two? They are in good shape feathers are nice and I haven't seen any signs the roo is roughing up the hen. I just want them to be happy.

As long as things are going smoothly, I would not add another hen. In my experience smaller bantam roosters infrequently cause 'over mating problems'. Large, heavy, clumsy roosters are far more likely to cause problems. Adding a new hen will definitely cause some social restructuring.

Back
Top Bottom