Confused about pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheekygreek, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Cheekygreek

Cheekygreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Oregon
    I have a six day old chick that keeps getting pasty butt. She's growing really great (she's the biggest one!), getting feathers,eating and drinking normally,and seems to act totally normal. I read that pasty butt if from diarrhea and then read that it's from constipation. Which one is it? I was thinking about giving her some coconut water for the electrolytes and maybe some plain yogurt. I am also going to try putting neosporin on her butt. Any other suggestions or thoughts about why this keeps happening?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Clearly

Clearly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    I can't answer on the recurrence, as I'm struggling with the same thing in two chicks. But I dilligently clean them twice a day, have clipped down the fuzz with small scissors, and we are making it work.

I'm replying though because my co op suggested plain yogurt, and I gave it to my chicks last night for the first time, and it's a HOOT! For the sheer entertainment value alone, try the yogurt! (I posted a video of mine a few threads down) :D

Good luck, and I'll be watching this thread for the knowledge of others to help my own little girls.

3. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Pasty butt,or pasty vent is caused by dirty water.Dirty water means,bacterial.Sre what happens is,they drink the bacterial,it stops them up,and then you get a nasty poopy mess,as stated in your paragraph.

Be sure they have clean water,food and a clean cage.
    Also,clean the poop off with warm wet water,then after cleaning it up,make the towel hot hot water,the press it against the sore.After that,add the Neosporin to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by