Confused about sexing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sukochickens, Mar 21, 2015.

1. sukochickens

sukochickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    I see so many posts on here asking "what sex do you think this is?" But when I went to the feed store to ask some questions the lady told me that all the chicks they get in are sexed and vaccinated and are about 3 days old. So are most people asking, buying straight run chicks? She said they get all different kinds not just sex links. So if people want a certain gender why not buy sexed chicks. I'm a newbie and feel like I'm missing something. Lol

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    You are not missing anything. Some people hatch their own, even the ones that are sexed at the store can be wrong. So people think they are buying girls and then one starts developing different, lo and behold a boy. I know some that are asking are like me that hatch and want to know before they start crowing. LOL

3. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    Thank you! I was assuming that's what it was. I just wanted to make sure the lady at the feed store wasn't lieing to me.

4. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    You are welcome. Remember too, they can only go by what the hatchery tells them. But they mess up sometimes.

5. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    Yeah I do know it's not 100%. I figured I have a better chance then TSC though. I went the other day just to see what they had and their golden sex links were labeled incorrectly. They had the males as females and vice versa. I wonder how many people ended up with a bunch of roos. [​IMG]

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The feed store employee was not misleading you, she just didn't share (and possibly didn't know) that those "sexed" chicks she is selling have a 5-10% chance of having been mis-sexed. Because of the structure of a chicken's sex organs, definitive gender ID is not really possible until they reach the age at which other, external, clues are presented by the bird - however, most people don't want to have to wait that long, so examination of the internal sex structures is performed on chicks at the time of hatching and a pretty good "guess" is made. I say "guess" because the structure is fairly complex and it is possible for those characteristics to be misread resulting in a "pullet" actually turning out to be a cockerel.

7. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Yeah that would upset me if I had bought 6 TSC minimum to find out they were all roos.

8. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    Thank you! I was wondering how they actually sexed them. Very good information! [​IMG]

9. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    That's why I've been researching like crazy! I don't want something like that to happen.

10. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Great thinking. Good luck getting babies.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by