Confused about Silkie Gender.

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
I have a Silkie, named Lilly, she is a year and a half old, she has never really feathered out, like stuck in a perpetual molt! Well in the last couple of months she has filled in her feathers, still nothing that could prove Rooster, she has never layed an egg, but she is Odd, in her build, her comb is not Roosterish like the other boys and barely any waddles, she kinda has a off look to her, (short, squat, very round, and no color on her earlobes like the others?) She is and always has been super sweet, but I have never heard her make any noice except baby cherps, this morning I heard the worst crow ever from the pen she is in and it is all hens, opened the door and she crowed right at me. I know she is full Silkie, but just a very bad example> LOL But I'm wondering if she could just be a crowing hen??? Oh and she is a non-bearded like all her brothers and sisters. HMMM

Has anybody else experienced this? I'm going to start checking for fertile eggs though I have never seen her even attempt to look at the girls let alone cover one. All of his/her sisters started laying at around 5 months and even some of their chicks are laying now but nothing from Lilly....... I've heard of late bloomers but really this is ridiculous, if she is a boy I'm kinda scared to put him in with his brother and Nephews she is kinda a big whimp. Sandy

Interesting.... Pictures maybe? If she crowed twice I kind of have my doubts about her gender...
hmm.png

I wish I could post pictures, but the only camera I have is the phone.
hmm.png
Due to lack of funds I can take pics. but I cant send them. I thought I knew what she was/ now I have no clue, but guessing she might be a Roo. Though the Crow was really odd sounding for a boy, even the other boys sounded more like a crow when they started out crowing. Sandy

Maybe I can use my sons phone to get a picture if he comes by today? I hope so. Yep she has only crowed twice and both times today? I know Silkies can be slow sometimes but Geesh..... a year and a half. No egg either from her/him.

Quote:
some hens will "crow" or try. It sounds EXTREMLY ungodly. so, i'd wait and see if she/he crows more, and if it starts to sound more like a rooster's crow

Mystery solved, after a year and a half she finially laid her little tiny egg! Caught her in the act this morning for the very first time! I have put off time and time again having her culled but she is just such a sweetheart I'm so glad she turned out to be a girl! LOL I just love her! Outside of the Speckled Sussex and my Roo Zues she is the most friendly girl I have and comes running when I call her name.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom