Confused about the Feb 17th digital conversion

mjdtexan

Songster
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Houston(ish)
I had thought that all of us that have tv's connected to cable or satalite would not have to have a converter box to view tv in the event that cable or satalite failed. Today, we had the cable tech at our house to service our cable and he said we would need to converter box to view tv when cable failed. ¿Is this correct?

Quote:
right, if cable fails, then the signal is no longer received directly. you would need the box to receive a digital signal.

it's a backup system, in this case.

That makes sense, if for some reason your cable or satellite went out and you still wanted to watch tv (but didn't have a DS ready tv), you'd need a converter box.

It all confuses me too, but I live so far out in the country that even the analog signal sucks.
roll.png

Ooo... Miss Jayne Ninja-d me!
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!
How much does the cable guy think it's gonna fail?
Dosen't say much for the cable co.

99% of people that have cable don't have an antenna anyway so what would you hook the box to anyway?

Yes, to get Digital TV from an antenna you need a converter boxif you have an old analog tv.
BUT!!!!
If your tv is relatively new (within the last few years) It probably dosn't need a box because It COMES programmed for digital TV.
Log on the TV maker's website and ask them if it's D-TV ready...

They have sooo many people freaking out buying those boxes when they don't need one in the first place.

Thank Yall for the responses. The reason cable would fail around here is that we are prone to hurricanes. The guy was not trying to sell us a converter box, we just asked him about it for some reason that I dont know (it wasnt me that asked). It seems as if our cable guy is mistaken about it. All of our tv's are fairly new so we should be in good shape.

And thanks for the link. It did its job.

Last edited:
Quote:
it's my mission in life to Ninja you.

the box will be necessary if you don't have a digital television. there are going to be a bunch of opinions on any one topic, so just do a little research. they are expensive units and there is a bunch of money to be made. if the cable guy DIDN'T offer it, he wouldn't be a very good employee...his job is just like any other salesman...it's ALL about the UPSELL/ADD ON.

Back
Top Bottom