Confused about when to start layer feed with different ages in my flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GlovesB, Aug 11, 2014.

1. GlovesB

GlovesB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    Felton, CA
    Still kinda a beginner in the great chicken world. Need some advise. My Girlz are different ages ranging from 25 weeks to the baby, 13 weeks. The 2 older ones just started laying (about 3 weeks ago). 2 other ones not far behind. And now for Scarlett...she's the baby at 13 weeks. Do I keep all my Girlz on starter feed until Scarlett is 18 weeks? They hang out in the garden with me everyday, so they're busy chasing bugs and they love the veggies from the garden and the fresh grass. I have oyster shell on the side for my big Girlz. Just want to make sure I'm doing the best thing for everyone!:cd

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I would say stay with the starter, with the oyster shell. When the youngest starts laying, you can switch them to layer if you choose. For an all hen flock of similar age birds, layer feed is a good choice. I keep a mixed gender and age flock, so I just don't use it. I feed everyone an all-in-one feed, and give the hens oyster shell as they like. This way everyone eats the same feed.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hear, Hear!!^^^

4. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    100 pound layer is about 18$ from local feed store in michigan

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Where?? Can you post pic of ingredient and nutrient level tag?

6. GlovesB

GlovesB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    Felton, CA
    Thanks for the advise. Bought a new bag of starter mix. I'll stick with that until Scarlett gets bigger!

7. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    just bought it today...its non gmo...[​IMG]
    the image may be to big if you zoom out you can read it better hope this helps...if need be i can write all the ingredients with the percentages for you...i just went by what the omish guy told me and it worked out fine....

8. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    protein, lysine, methionine, fat, fiber, calcium, calcium, phosphorus, salt and salt..if that helps

9. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    im up by greyling...in the middle of the state

10. ameliaspurlock

ameliaspurlock New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Winston Salem, NC
    I've got 2 2-mo. old pullet's (a Welsummer and a Mottled Java) and just got a Red Sexlink hen that's 4 months. I am confused about what feed to use because of the age difference. I finally settled on Finisher because it seemed to be one that would be ok for both ages. Is it ok for all three? I'm in town and many idiot's here let their dogs run loose so I keep them in the enclosed area we built. I sprinkle grit, and give them scratch plus the food in their feeder. So is the food ok, when do I start using Layer feed for all, and what else do I need to do to keep them healthy and happy?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by