Confused about which breed will suit us.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kazziepooh, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Kazziepooh

Kazziepooh New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Hi. We have 6 Brahmas and we want to increase our flock BUT they're eggs are a bit on the small side. We're looking for a large/heavy bird with large eggs; good layers; maybe not so inclined to be broody but we'll cope whatever; need to get on with other breeds ie Brahmas.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Kind of got Orpington's on our radar but your input of breeds we haven't noticed would be great.

[​IMG]

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Orpingtons are good but I prefer Cochins, myself. People say they aren't great layers but I got an egg each day from each of my hens. :)

3. Kazziepooh

Kazziepooh New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    We've thought about cochins,are the eggs a good size? I think we were put off because write ups say they're small- medium eggs (like our Brahmas).:)

4. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Yeah, mine were good sized. And they're soooo sweet! :)

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Orpingtons are better layers than Cochins, and their eggs are typically larger. We have had both breeds (still have BOs) and our Cochins generally gave us two eggs per week per hen, which is in line with what the chicken breed charts list them for (see http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html#ch and http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx). Our Buff Orpingtons give us 3 to 4 eggs a week (not great by our Black Sex Link and Black Australorp standards) but better than the Cochins gave us, and their eggs are larger than our Cochin eggs as well. If you want a really large bird that lays fairly well, you might want to consider Jersey Giants. They are larger than either Orpingtons or Cochins and their lay rate and egg size is about the same as the Orpingtons. Whatever you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

6. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I had all of the chickens below and they all laid regularly, the eggs were a nice size too. Hope that helps!
    Orpingtons, Australorps, Barred Rocks,Sliver laced wynndotte, red sex links, Easter Eggers.

7. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm getting 5-6 eggs/week per hen from my Malines. Eggs are large to XL. (56 gms - 69 gms) Some hens will even lay jumbos. (70 gms +) They are docile, large fowl. Not prone to broodiness & are cold hardy. I have yet to find a better breed for our needs. :) I believe Sunbird Farms & Greenfire Farms have them in the U.S.

Good luck with your search! :)

8. Kazziepooh

Kazziepooh New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    I am really interested in Jersey Giants but struggling to find a UK breeder close by. I can't find Malines at all but they sound interesting. Decisions decisions!

9. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, didn't realize you're in the U.K. Malines originated in Belgium & came to North America less than 10 years ago.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by