Confused about who is laying what egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4boyz, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Hello! I have 4 hens who are all about 17 weeks old. On Thanksgiving Day we found our first egg! A very small blue/gray egg. The following day we found our first large brown egg. I thought I knew who they were coming from, but now I am confused.

I assumed our Americauana was laying the blue egg. This morning I heard one of the hens making a racket outside. I looked outside and saw Hershey, Twix and Skittles out in the run. Butterscotch was in the coop, I'm assuming making all the noise. Right after the noise stopped, my husband went out and found a warm blue egg in the nest box. I thought Butterscotch was my Buff Orpington laying the brown eggs, not my Americauna.

I am wondering if you can tell me what kind of chickens I have so I can figure it out. Thank You!

Here are my chickens. This is what I thought they were.
    [​IMG]
    Left: Americauna (blue eggs) Skittles
    Right: Buff Orpington (brown eggs) Butterscotch

[​IMG]
    Black Sex link: (brown eggs) Hershey

[​IMG]
    Blue Laced Red Wyandotte: (brown eggs) Twix

2. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    [​IMG]
    THIS IS A BLRW... I DON'T THINK THAT'S THE CHICKEN YOU HAVE?? (TWIX) SHE LOOKS MORE LIKE A BROWN LEGHORN ARACANA MIX??
    [​IMG]
    AS FOR HERSHEY I WOULD SAY THAT SHE IS IN FACT A BSL. THIS IS LOIS MY BSL.
    BUTTERSCOTCH I WOULD SAY YES IS A BO.
    I COULDN'T TELL YOU WHAT SKITTLES IS... SHE LOOKS MORE LIKE THE BLRW EXCEPT LIGHTER.
    [​IMG]
    THIS IS FIONA MY ARACANA. SHE RESEMBLES TWIX.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Twix is the easter egger, Skittles looks like the BLRW

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Quote:Having some of the lighter BLRW.. Skittles is definately one.. I agree.. Twix is the easter egger.. those puffy cheeks give it away.. no BLRW has puffy cheeks

Shelly

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    twix sould be your blue egg layer. Skittles is a BLRW. I don't think she is laying quite yet either.

My blue laced red wyandotte

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  6. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Thank you so much for your replies! Maybe this will help my confusion. Butterscotch was the only one in the coop (others in the run) and we think she was the one making all the noise. When my husband checked the nest boxes he pulled out a gray/blue egg. So let me re-phrase my question. Is there any way these eggs came out of this chicken? And is this chicken a BO? Thank You!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yes, that chicken is a BO, no, she did not lay a blue egg. I had a hen that would wait till someone else layed, then she would run to the nest box, sit on the fresh layed egg, and cackle her head off as if it was hers! Because she had been sitting on the egg, it would be warm when we went to retrieve it! [​IMG]

8. Dchicken207

Dchicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Maine
    looks like you have one BLRW, a BO and 2 eater eggers. One of the darker two is the blue egg layer.

9. potluck

potluck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Kari Dawn - I have a barred rock like that - she claims every egg that get's laid. It was real helpful when they were first laying and some of them were laying outside - it helped me find their sneaky hiding places. I call her tattletale!

10. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG]:frow:love Your Blue Laced Wayadotte and thr BlackSex Link are beautiful.How old are they and where did you get them.I'm sorry that I can't help you with who is laying what.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by