Confused again!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NysiaAnera, Jan 18, 2017.

1. NysiaAnera

NysiaAnera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Okay, this beautiful boy is confusing me now! He is 13 weeks old here. Since he started feathering out I have been sure he was from my sister's Dominique hen. As he got bigger, we both thought his dad was her Silver Laced Polish rooster. But neither of those breeds have the tufts on the cheeks. He looks like he may have come from a Polish and an Easter Egger, but no EE eggs were set, and the only Polish chickens were roosters. So... where in the world did he come from???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Three of the eggs set were from my sister's Dominique.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Polish do come in bearded and non bearded varieties. Are any of your sister's bearded? Either way he did not come from a Dominique egg. If he had he would be barred. Any non-white, non-barred male crossed with a Dominique female results in black sex links - barred cockerels and non barred pullets.

4. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    No, he was not bearded. The eggs I got from my sister were from her Dominique, the rest were from my own flock.

I had a Polish also, non bearded, White Crested Black Polish rooster. My hens are Black Australorp, Buff Brahma, and Buff Orpington. I have some crazy cool looking chicks, but the ones that are from my WCBP have whacky hairdos, no beards.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Does your sister have other birds besides the Dominique? I'm wondering if there was a mix up somewhere and there's another breed in the mix. Agree he's not from a Dominique, and there's a lot of Polish there. I'm not seeing any of the other breeds mentioned.

I have no experience with Polish and their bearded genetics, only EE and Ameraucana. In those breeds, the beards are like an incomplete dominance.....mixing a non-bearded with a bearded gives a more lightly bearded (in most cases. Some are fully bearded). So I don't know if it's possible for two non-bearded Polish to toss together a bearded chick.....although if it were pure Polish, he'd have more of the tophat, wouldn't he?

8. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID

That just answered the next question I was going to ask, which was if a non bearded Polish could have bearded chicks.

9. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Okay, this is just so bizarre...

For my sister's eggs, the only three hens laying were her Dominique who laid a large cream colored egg, her RIR who laid an extra large dark brown egg, and an Easter Egger who lays green eggs.
    Her two roosters are an Easter Egger, and a Polish.
    The eggs we set of hers were from her Dominique.
    The only chicken she had with the tophat was the one Polish rooster.

[​IMG]
    This is Edgar, my sister's Polish.

[​IMG]
    This is Lucky, my sister's EE roo.

Will an Easter Egger with no tophat create chicks with it??

I would say that none of the chicks came from her eggs, except that I know that some did, otherwise they would have just materialized. Maybe the force created this chick???

I have a few chicks from my own Polish. I had 3 from one batch last year from him and my EE hens. All 3 were bearded and had "crazy hairdos". I also have chicks from him and my other hens. All have crazy hair, but no beards, and none of them are black and white.

[​IMG]
    This is all 9 hatch mates from this clutch.

[​IMG]
    And here they are again, with a close-up of a pullet that also has the beard and has white in it her feathers.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Polish can have muffs/beards. And either the Dominiques are not really Dominiques, or his egg was laid by one of the other hens. No possible way does he have a Dominique mother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by