1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused as to pigeon sex

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by QuoVadis, Mar 22, 2016.

1. QuoVadis

QuoVadis Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    I have a two pigeons who have paired - I don't intend to let them stay a pair, as one is a homer and the other a roller, but they are together right now and have paired... Here is my confusion. I thought I knew which one was male (Homer - I thought) and female (roller - I thought). I saw the Homer feeding the Roller the "milk" or whatever it is called when one pigeon put their beak in the other's beak. In addition I saw some male behavior (strutting, cooing, etc.) from the Homer. But then yesterday I saw them mating, and the Roller was on top. But then right afterward I again saw the Homer feed the Roller (I though males fed the females??). In addition, I have seen zero male behavior from the Roller - no strutting, cooing or dancing. What is going on?? Which one is male and which one is female? Do females ever feed the males instead of vice versa? Is it normal for a male to never display male behavior? So confused right now!
    Thanks!

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have 66 trips around the sun been raising pigeons for decades and have more experience with these birds than most. One thing I can say with absolute certainty mistakes are made when it comes to gender. On the other hand if it lays an egg it is definitely is a female.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  3. QuoVadis

QuoVadis Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    Yeah I've only had pigeons a year but I've noticed how much harder they are to sex than poultry. Any guess in the scenario I described which one is male and which one is female? I was planning to separate them and put them in breeding boxes with the mate I wanted them to have!

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by