Confused birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maureen&chickens, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    I have 2 bantam roosters who are about 3 months old. They moved outside to their new coop 3 weeks ago; prior to that they lived in my mud room. They are fine when I leave them in their run. Every time I let them out to free-range they spend the whole time sitting on my back steps trying to get back inside the house. They also will not return to their coop at sundown; preferring instead to wait on the steps for someone to open the door so they can sneak in. Any suggestions for convincing them the great outdoors are meant to be explored and that they should return to THEIR COOP for the night?

2. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    OOOOHHHHHHHH THAT IS SOOO VERY CUTE !!!
    Perhaps you should leave them locked in the run for a couple of weeks ??
    Liz
    Rochester, MA

3. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I Second That, And Make Sure They Have A Light In The Coop (at Least For The Time They Are Locked In The Run) We Had A Heck Of Time Getting Our Brids To Go In The Coop (never Lived In Our House) Once We Started Letting Them Out In Their Run. Very Polite People Here @ Byc Informed Me Keeping A Light On In The Coop For A Bit Will Help Them Realize Because They Dont' Like The Dark. Now If There's Ever A Day We Dont' Have The Timer On For Them, They're All In With No Problems. We Just Have To Go Out And Close The Chicken Door To The Coop. Works Like A Charm.
    Hope That Helps!

And Very Cute Of Your Birds!

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I had to get physical with mine and help walk them into the coop... after a few nights they got it. treats work too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by