Confused...boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by starfroggie, Mar 28, 2008.

1. starfroggie

starfroggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Walla Walla
    Well shoot, last week I thought for sure I had two female Salmon Faverolles. Now it looks like one is getting some black feathering. What do you guys think? Do I have two hens or a hen and a roo?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    only males should have black or drk brownish feathers in their feathering. girls should be all salmon and white colored.
    silkie

3. starfroggie

Mar 5, 2008
    Walla Walla
    So can you tell from the photos I posted that there is a girl and a boy?

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I need a better pic of the one in back to see if it is a boy. And maybe one with the wind spread. Thanks.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think there is a boy and a girl.

And, off subject, but every time I see Walla Walla, I think of the Fuller Brush Company.

Thanks Bugs for instilling that life long memory.......

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

It could just be a poorly colored salmon faverolle, if you got it from a hatchery. We have a salmon hen from MM and she has some black splashed over her.

7. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I agree with kanchii, looks like a poorly colored pullet to me

8. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i saw ur other post with pics also and i thought they were both pullets at first. then saw there was an added color so i thought a pair. to be honest i think seeing them again it is 2 pullets and one is off color like it is a hatchery stock baby and at that age a roo should be a definate pink comb and dark in wings noticeable. ur's don't look how mine hatched boys and grew it looks different to me so i'm pretty sure it's a girl.

if u go on my site link in my siggy and go to the mixed pen i have i have pics of a pair on their that r purebred bantams a little older than urs. couse they look totally different now since older and have adult looks but due to winter i don't have updated pics but mabe it will help to see what u should be seeing soon to know for sure. i don't know if i have any younger pics will have to check my comp. usually they hide from the cam though,lol.
    hope mabe that helps ya some,
    silkie

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Look at the breast feathers. I cant really see from the pics, but if it is a boy, it will be getting black in the breast. If there is no black, then it is a girl.

10. starfroggie

Mar 5, 2008
    Walla Walla
    Thank you to everyone for the responses, I appreciate each and every one of them! These chicks came from Duane Urch, so supposed to be better quality than a hatchery but I guess time will tell? I will try to get a wing shot soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by