1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused broody hen question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mhoward2, May 5, 2016.

1. mhoward2

mhoward2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2015
    I had a hen sitting on eggs for about a week and I came home one day and she was sitting in the wrong nesting box. The eggs that she was sitting on were cold. I moved her to the correct nest and she has stayed in the right nest since then. Will the eggs not hatch since this happened?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on how long she was off them. There is a chance some won't hatch. Check daily for a rotten smell coming from any eggs and throw out any that stink.

3. mhoward2

Aug 18, 2015
    She was sitting on them the day before and the day I found her off of them it was in the high 70s or low 80s. Can she be off of them for a day and they still hatch?

4. TheKindaFarmGal

Was she off them the whole day, or just some of it? Hopefully you'll get at least a few chicks but some might have died in that time, unfortunately. [​IMG]

5. mhoward2

Aug 18, 2015
    I dont really know how long she was off of them. I work all day and when I got home she was off of them. The day before she was on them.

6. mhoward2

Aug 18, 2015
    3 have hatched so far

7. TheKindaFarmGal

Wonderful! Glad that the hen getting off the nest for a while didn't hurt them. [​IMG]

8. Annie557

Annie557 New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    My girl has done this 2 days in a row now. We are only 5 days in. I will keep my fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by