Confused by death of chickens

Shelley keller

Hatching
Aug 31, 2022
Good morning!! I would love your thoughts as I'm at a loss. We have a very secure chicken coop. Nothing has ever gotten in. Two days ago we encountered 3 dead chickens inside the pen. They were partially eaten, mostly in the breast area. We have 2 bunnies and a duck that share the space and have for along time with no issue. There is more than enough space for all. The 2 bunnies had blood all over their faces and were missing some of the skin and tissue around their mouths and noses. They died within 2 days from their injuries. The duck is fine. There are 3 remaining chickens. I did notice in the week proceeding that either the duck or one of the chickens was picking on the backs of two chickens causing wounds on their backs. One of the wounded chickens is still alive. Two of the 3 that were killed had no wounds.

I can't figure out what could kill the chickens and damage the bunnies in this manner. The bunnies had several spots to hide. Could the bunnies have killed the chickens? They have never displayed any aggression toward the chickens.

There is a small area along the roof that a predator could have snuck in. The damage to the chickens was similar to what an opposum would do, but that leaves the bunnies unanswered. I didn't see any unusual prints, no obvious spot where a predator entered and left evidence. No damage to the coup, no tunnels or holes coming in.

Any thoughts are appreciated!!!

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you posted, however sad the circumstances. Your poor babies had a horrific night. :'(

There IS a hole somewhere, I think. You just haven't found it yet. Fox possibly, raccoon, or bobcat - all of which can climb walls and fences. (In the US anyway - depends on where you are! Dingos? Badgers?) Please go over every inch of your pen, push and pull on all the edges - there's most likely a weak spot somewhere. Put up a game camera or security cam on the pen. The varmint had dinner once, he or she WILL be back for more. Once identified, you can set an appropriate trap or otherwise plan to dispatch the animal.

And no, I don't think it was the bunnies. Poor things.

Thank you for your reply. I have been over the coup twice but will look again. We are in Southern Colorado. There is only one spot that something might have come in, although there is no evidence. There is maybe a 2 inch x 6 inch gap along the roof line where we have a material roof to allow some light to filter in. There is no damage to the mesh material, no scratches, hair or anything, but something like an opossum could probably slip in there.
We also have one chicken that is being very aggressive. She is climbing on top of another chicken and pulling feathers, as well as pecking it on the back so aggressively it has a large wound. It has seemed excessively aggressive since this attack and I have to wonder if she is the culprit, but it simply does not make sense. This happened within an hour of sunset. It seems unlikely that she did this damage in such a short time and also unlikely that she attacked the other hens at night when she would be roosting and WHY would she attack the bunnies face?!
It's making me crazy trying to figure it out!!!

Sorry for your loss. This one is a real head scratcher. Could have been an opossum, maybe a mom with babies, or even a couple of skunks. Since the rabbit's wounds were all on their faces it's likely whatever it was cornered them, and they fought back. I would think then that it's something small enough that it could not take on a rabbit.

Having enough space depends on how much time they spend together. Chickens can be very aggressive when crowded. I would close the hole to eliminate the opportunity for any predators to get in and isolate the aggressive hen if you haven't already done so.Bad habits are bad to break, the sooner the better!A camera might help you identify the culprit before it kills them all.

She is climbing on top of another chicken and pulling feathers, as well as pecking it on the back so aggressively it has a large wound.
It's unusual for a hen to be that aggressive, are you certain it's not a cockerel?
As @ChickensComeHome2Roost touched on, how much space is more than enough? You do have three different types of animals housed together that naturally wouldn't choose to share the same space.

It's unusual for a hen to be that aggressive, are you certain it's not a cockerel?
As @ChickensComeHome2Roost touched on, how much space is more than enough? You do have three different types of animals housed together that naturally wouldn't choose to share the same space.
It can be problematic to keep different species together especially in close quarters.I've never kept ducks with my chickens they chatter all night.

It has seemed excessively aggressive since this attack ...
The chickens and ducks can be very stressed since the attack was recent, and they very likely still don't feel safe. That can trigger aggression. Also they'll pick on each others' wounds. You know Darwin's theory, "survival of the fittest" - I'm reminded that animals will often attack one of their own if they perceive that one to be weak or injured, or otherwise likely to attract danger.

Separate her from the rest until you can figure this out and everyone calms down.

The 2 bunnies had blood all over their faces and were missing some of the skin and tissue around their mouths and noses. The duck is fine.
Chickens can't see at all in the dark. Ducks can see just fine. Rabbits can't see in complete darkness but do see best at dawn and dusk. Ergo...... your attack happened in darkness.
I suggest to add a light or two to the pen area, maybe a motion-sensor like this:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/solar-tr...4381459?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_2

Chickens can't see at all in the dark. Ducks can see just fine. Rabbits can't see in complete darkness but do see best at dawn and dusk. Ergo...... your attack happened in darkness.
I suggest to add a light or two to the pen area, maybe a motion-sensor like this:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/solar-tr...4381459?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_2
Interesting I was not aware that chickens can not see at night. I would saw this further confirms the thought that it was not the aggressive chicken attacking because she would have only had 1 hour to do way too much damage if she can't see at night.

Back
Top Bottom