Confused Chicken..?

forbiddengarden

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Hi All,

(I'm kinda new at this so I'm just gonna state the problem...) I have a chicken who has been spending all of her time lying down behind my friends ceramic studio (it's on my property) and as far as I'm aware of hasn't moved for over 2 weeks. I've been giving her food and water and from what I can tell she is not physically hurt at all. She has always had a toes that curve in a way they aren't supposed to, but it's never created any major problems for her as far as moving around. I thought she might be attempting to hatch some chicks, but my friend caught her not lying there and noticed there were no eggs underneath her. After she told me this I just picked up the chicken (I also then saw no eggs) and moved her to the yard and put her back there; then I put things up to keep to keep her out of her spot if she tried to come back and within 2 minutes she was already back in her spot and had knocked down my barrier. I have no idea was she's doing or what her motive to stay in that area is. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
F.G.

welcome-byc.gif
Still sounds like broody behavior even though there are no eggs. Something may have taken her eggs, and she is still going on maternal instinct-- hope springs eternal in the minds/hearts of broody mamas.

Okay. Thanks for the help. Should I try to keep her out of there if she's not hatching or just wait for her to do it on her own?

Aw, poor little girl
sad.png
. It definitely sounds like broody behavior, despite the lack of eggs. I'd definitely put out food and lots of water for her where she can easily reach it. Going broody away from a water source in the heat of summer is definitely NOT good for her health. Make sure to pick her up and take her over to the food and water a couple times of day, she might be so deep into her trance that she won't even walk a few feet.

Good luck with her, and bless you for taking care of a little confused soul
smile.png

I gave her a little water dish and a food dish and keep filling them up as necessary. Today I put an egg under her, who knows? Maybe she hatch it! I just hope she can last another 21 days there!

F.G.

Back
Top Bottom