1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosemi78, Jan 29, 2013.

1. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    The black hen that's my avitar is a sweetheart. My daughter has named her Lezlie & over the weekend figured out that she can cart her around for hours without any chicken protests. She even likes to be on the inside of a zipped jacket.

I go home from work mid-morning to open up the coop & let the chickens free range. As soon as Lezlie sees me, she starts chattering. If I pick her up, she will sing to me. I absolutely adore her, but I worry about her, too. When I try to walk away from her, she follows. She'll sit on my front porch for hours waiting for a human to come back outside. The picture shows her sitting on my window ledge, watching what we were doing in the living room.

Is this typical?? She's still relatively young (not sure of exact age, but I don't believe she's laying eggs yet), but she just makes me nervous with her complete lack of interest in the other chickens.

2. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    She may be the low hen on the totem pole like my Floppy.

Floppy will fly to the top of the coop when they go in for the night. I go out and get her down, she stands up so I can lift her and will snuggle in while I carry her into the coop and sit her on the perch. Last night I stayed to see what was going on and 3 of the others push her out of the spot she goes to and will peck at her. Well being the "head hen" I took two fingers as if they were my beak and pecked back with a stern NO. Gabby reared back but stopped there, thought she was going to strike back at me but she did not. Floppy will follow me when I go out but not as attached as your girl.

3. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Being low in the pecking order might make sense, especially since she's still so little. I never really thought of chickens become attached to humans before. Plus, I've only had her for a week now. I'm gla she's so sweet, though. :)

4. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    [​IMG] from CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by