1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused Chickens- Confused chicken-mama

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I adore my hand-raised pullets. I could sit back and just observe them for hours, and I especially love to sit in their pen and feed them treats. There is, however, one small issue that prevents complete enjoyment of my "chicken time". There seems to be some confusion, amongst my girls, as to the difference between "Robin BRINGS treats" and "Robin IS a treat." None of my pullets have ever pecked me in an agressive manner, and it doesn't hurt THAT much, but they peck almost constantly at anything on my body that looks like it doesn't "belong" there. A paint spot on my shirt. My freckles. My shoe laces. A dirt stain on my shorts. My toes.

Is this normal chicken behavior? Believe me, these girls have NEVER been shy about taking treats. Dropping a strawberry in their pen is like dropping a goat leg in a pihranah pool. They always meet me at the door to see what I have for them. They are fantastic chickens, and if the pecking is just normal chicken behavior I'll still sit down and feed them treats. But if anyone knows of any way to deter this, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Yep, totally normal. Chickens are very curious and they are always checking to see if something tastes good. And just because they tasted that button 3 seconds ago doesn't mean they are totally convinced it's not edible. They're not being mean, just curious. Just being chickens. [​IMG]

3. countryatheart

countryatheart Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Victoria, TX
    Yup, mine like to taste the little flower decoration on my crocs, my jewelry, my freckles, even my fingernails. They ALWAYS come running when I enter their run.

4. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    And remember to wear a BAND-AID if you have an owie . . . or they'll peck at it! OWIE!!!!

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mine peck at my larger freckles (or moles, if that's what you call'em). [​IMG] It's worse when they're hungry.

6. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    soo true about the "owwie" hee hee!

7. Laurena

Laurena Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Mine like toes .

8. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    My 2-year-old granddaughters both have jeans with flower embroidery on them. They are now referred to as the "Chicken-Peckin' Pants"! [​IMG]

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    LOL. Good to hear everyone else's stories. I'm not worried about it anymore- those babies can peck my freckles if they want to!

10. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Just watch out when they look longingly into your eyes!

Their about to peck it out!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by