1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Confused Cochin?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rekkas peeps, Jan 2, 2013.

1. rekkas peeps

rekkas peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    So I have 2 Frizzled Cochins that i got last spring. a cockrel and a pullet. Now that all my girls are at laying age, I took notice the my cochin female isn't very female-esc. When my 4 boys all "chat" she joins in by trying to stand as tall as she can gets pretty loud and grumbly. I also noticed last night that after one roo hoped off my Jersey Giant female (Demon) PC my little Cochin hoped right on top and tried to get some. Demon just layed there without a fuss. Could she be a he? she has no waddles under her black beard and her comb is small but really red like mt cockrel's comb. Do I have a confused bird and is there anything I can do? [​IMG]

2. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

have you got a picture of her

3. rekkas peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    i do ill post a pic when i get home tonight.......

4. rekkas peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    here's my confused cochin just resting...
    [​IMG]

5. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    That looks like a cockerel to me... Sometimes they don't crow if there is another dominat rooster.

6. rekkas peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    aw crap, realy? i cant have anymore boys as it is i barely have enough girls....darn it all. ither way it's very sweet to me and my son

7. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

yes thats a cockerel

8. rekkas peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    thanks guys!!

9. Chicken Techie

Chicken Techie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    Im rekka's husband and i was in the coop with this "confused cochin" yesterday, and if im not mistaken hens don't go cock a doodle doo with the other roosters. so you guys are right, the she is a he... thats ok he is a verry nice rooster and likes to be held, we are keeping here, i guess we just have to get more chicks in the spring.... oh darn

10. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I had to laugh the "oh darn" did not read like a OH DARN to me lol. More like a [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by