Confused Duck - likes Chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vtxred, Apr 1, 2012.

1. vtxred

vtxred New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Liberty Hill, TX
    I have read on the forum about Ducks that mount chickens and that they will eventually kill the chickens due to anatomy differences. Has anyone had success with introducing more ducks into the flock. I only have one duck and one drake and am currently introducing two females that are about 7 weeks. I have an area partitioned off in the duck house where the drake cannot get to the young ducks but they see each other and eat next to each other. I am not letting the ducks out with chickens.

I am wondering has anyone had luck with the drake eventually not trying to mate with the chickens if they are getting their needs met with the ducks?

I do not have an area where they can graze away from one another so for now, I am letting the ducks out for maybe an hour and the chickens out all day. The hen house and the duck house are in the same yard as their grazing area so they can see each other, just do not have access when the they are grazing.

Thanks for any help.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I hope the drake transfers his attention to the female ducks, but I suppose there is no guarantee. My drakes were raised with the female ducks and did not bother with the hens.

3. My ducklings were raised with goslings. The one drake who remains will chase the female geese in a hopeless attempt to try to mate with them. He has 6 female ducks, and does his duty with all of them, but still pursues the geese. He completely ignores the chickens -- didn't meet a chicken till he was grown. So, if they aren't raised with chicks I'd think there was a good chance that he'd be okay with the chickens.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I only had a problem with the chickens when I had excess drakes. My lone muscovy drake has been on his own for a month since his mate is setting on a nest. He has never messed with the chickens.

I introduced 6 rouen ducklings about 1.5 months ago. I had them in the duck run partitioned off from the pair. The female was not happy when I tried to literally introduce them after 2 weeks out there but she was laying eggs. The male was curious. The drake and ducklings have been together since I partitioned off my hen and her nest about 2.5 weeks ago. My drake and the ducklings get on okay. They are a bit scared of him and I think he gets confused with 6 of them running around. No attacks or injuries though, the ducklings sleep on the ground and he sleeps on a bench above them.

5. btwhitaker

btwhitaker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I raised some ducklings with goslings a few years ago. The two ducks are both drakes, and would much rather spend time with a flock of geese than ducks. They sometimes try to fight the ganders and sexually pursue the geese, but never to any avail. The geese allow them in the flock, but the ganders don't put up with their nonsense. I think ducks are affected by who they're raised with. Introducing more ducks should not be a problem once they establish their dominance hierarchy, however it may not make the drake stop pursuing the chickens. As long as he is not too large of a duck, he should not harm your hens.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He will harm her chicken hens if he mates with them and it sounds like this is his goal . All you can do is try. hopefully when the girls become sexually mature he will lose interest in the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by