Confused geese and eggs FS

birdnutz

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
wyoming
I have some really confused toulouse geese. The weather here has been really crazy this year. Cold for a week,then warms up again. Obviously the geese figure spring has sprung.(I wish). Couldn't get a real good count(protective Mom and all). But I think there is 6 to 8 eggs that would be for sale.

Occassionally geese will lay a few eggs in the fall. They will then stop and start up again in late winter.

You should test fertility first if you plan to sell them for hatching eggs. They may not be fertile.

For eating eggs those would be excellent for holiday baking.

I could break one open and check for a blastoma. If you use them for baking ,how do they compare to a large egg?1 equals 3 ?
This spring they laid 12 and hatched 12. Do they breed in the fall?

We just had a similar discussion on a goose list I am on. Someone hatched some late eggs and one of the goslings died. It was explained that these eggs are not good hatching candidates and are often weaker and die. I believe because the goose has depeleted her reserves over the spring months causing weaker goslings.

All 12 of the eggs hatched. Ok I'll just use them in baking. How do you figure out the mix? Is it 1 goose egg = 3 large chicken eggs?

Back
Top Bottom